Slugs?

grizzly5028

I have a couple of tech questions about slugs. The majority of the land around my town is closed to high powered rifles, but you can use slugs. What type of choke should I have in? Do I need a raised sight on the gun? and what kind of slugs would you guys recommend. Thanks for the help guys!

Here in IL we all have to use slugs When I started I found that an open chock worked better. I finally bought a regular slug gun with a rifld barrel and have a scope on it. If you just use the shotgun bead you will find that it covers the deer if it isn't right on top of you.

As far as the slugs , you just have to try different kinds. My gun puts Lightfield 3" slugs right on target at 100 yds. Others I tried didn't do as well

Just an open choke. I dropped three whitetails, with 3 straight shots, from my Mossberg 500 20 ga, using plain ol' K-Mart slugs. Only sight was the bead, but that was some pretty thick stuff and my longest shot was probably 25yds.

Killed a couple of deer in Iowa last year with plain old winchester slugs. nothing more than 60 yards away. It is awesome how devistating a 1 oz slug can be.

Ive been curious about how a rifled barell with some of the high dollar slugs they make today would do with my 1187. Let us know what you end up with.

grizzly5028: As a general rule of thumb, if you are using the old traditional foster style slugs, shooting through a smooth bore, you want an open choke. The newer sabot style slugs will only perform well though a rifled barrel.

wyoming556: The Iowa buck in my pic was taken at just over 150 yards. I shoot a fully rifled barrel on a Mossberg 535, topped with a 3-9 scope. I use the Hornady SST. I consistently get 1" groups at 100 yards and 3" at 200. Not bad for a slug....works for me.

Some guns shoot slugs fine others don't or you'll have to try a bunch of different kinds to find the one the gun likes.i got sick and tired or the inconsistancy and bought a slug barrel with a cantelever mount and solved the problem.the hastings slug barrel I bought shoots great.My only regret is that I didn't get a powerful enough scope because with the newer slugs that shoot out to 200 yards i could sure use it.I currently shoot the federal sabot slugs in 2-3/4 1 oz. size and have great results.I think I could however extend my range with some of the newer slugs.i love my slug gun setup and wouldn't be afraid to use it for anything out west.

how far away are you planning for your shots to be?

Im hunting on the west side of WA so its very thick, so anywhere from 40- maybe100yds, but some of the clear cuts can be quite large. I shoot a 12 ga Beneli Super Nova so it is a well made gun, so id probably trust it out to maybe 100yds on an elk or bear, blacktails maybe 60-70yds

i live in illinois so all we have is slug guns, for thick cover your cant beat an open sight pumpgun ive had alot of luck running winchester 3 inch rackmasters through my smoothbore, they have been the most accurate of the smoothbore variety for me, if you really serious about it though get a rifled barrel, i have an H and R ultra slug and buy some sabot style slugs i had really good luck with lightfields last year., with lightfields i can put 3 rounds inside of 2 inches at 150 yds.

Ive got a browning bps with a rifled barrel and the nikon slugster. at 100yards hornady sst's will touch each other...havent been on a range farther than that though

My 11-87 has done well over the years using the Federal foster type slugs. I'm shooting a slug barrel, rifle choke tube with open sights. Used to use a regular barrel with open choke before then and had good accuracy out to 75 yards or so. Just a few months ago I picked up a used 11-87 synthetic with a rifled barrel and plan to shoot the Hornady sst. Both my dad and brother use the rifled barrel with Remington copper solids and have great accuracy out to 150 yards. Not sure I really need the new set up as I'm the one usually pushing on deer drives and shots are usually close if at all. Plus those sabots are quite a bit more expensive that the fosters and I'm cheap! :D

i havent had alot of luck with hornady, i has several deer with good shots that didnt give any blood trail luckily i saw where both of them dropped, i was told that shot placement with those need to be through the shoulder bones to drop them in tracks because they do not expand like most slugs do.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back