Backpack tent on the cheap.

6speed

I have been trying to figure out how to get the needed equipment for my first year of backpack bowhunting on a budget. I had it narrowed down to spending about $200 on a new bag, my old one weighs a ton, and a new tent. I had planned on splitting the $200 down the middle but after seeing the sale on this Big Agnes down filled Storm King 0* bag I decided to change my strategy. I got the bag for $145 but didn't have much time to check reviews on it or go find one to check out in person. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong. Any of you have this bag? What do you think about it?

Now that I have spent 3/4 of my budget allotted for tent/bag I need a good light tent for $50 or less. I figured all I really need is a light tent that will keep me and some gear dry and I figured since a $50 tent doesn't keep you much warmer than a $350 tent I should make sure I had a good bag. Any ideas on a light weight tent that I can get for $50 or less that is actually water tight and will last at least 1 or two seasons?

A tent isn't really going to keep you warm, maybe a couple degrees above outside temps... its made to keep you dry. Spend 24+hrs in a rain/snow storm and you'll either be ready to go hunting or home when the storm breaks... your tent will decide for you. When I was younger I made due with what I had, and spent some miserable nights up on the mountain, and hiked out a time or two because of leaking tents.

If you don' t have the funds for a quality tent, I'd look into getting a bivy and take a tarp to shed rain and snow. $50 tents are made for car camping and the back yard... They're usually pretty heavy too.

Definitely pick-up a quality bivy bag instead of a tent. I shop on promotive for all my gear, bought a Big Agnes tent and bag, saved 50% and still had to pay $200 a piece for light and durable stuff. I would just get the bivy. Not as great as a tent, but seriously lighter.

I've got a couple of tents that I got cheap and have been happy with. One is a Eureka two person tent and the other is a Coleman 3 person tent. I gave $25 for the Coleman and spent a night on Mt. Mitchell in North Carolina during a downpour. The wettest that I got was packing up. Neither of these would be ideal for backpacking, but I'm pretty convinced that I would want a sewn in floor. I used to tarp camp when I was younger and the run off always ran under the tarp. Better choice of camp site and more effort in setting up might have reduced the wetness factor. I usually get a cheap poly tarp and cut it to the shape of the tent floor to protect the floor itself. This seems to have worked out. I would suggest carrying a dining fly tarp to set up outside the tent. I have several small footprint tarps that I got on clearance that I use to sit on or can put up to keep dry while cooking. I don't think that there is any better guide than past experience, but you've got to get out to experience it.

Don't forget your going to need a good sleep pad for in your sleeping bag.So thats another $50-$100 right there but will make all the difference in the world in a good nights sleep.BA bags have no fill on the bottom of their bags and have a slot for your sleep pad to go in
You can always find tents on sale for under $100,and they are decent.Just waterproof the heck out of them and test them right away.If they fail in your yard then return it ASAP.For a tent, I mainly look for lightweight and a spot to store some gear under the rain fly.I go to the stores and look them over and then go home and check reviews on ones I liked before purchasing.A tent to me is just a place to keep me and my gear dry in a rain.Setting it up in a good spot will make alot of difference
I think you easily have another $150,at least, to spend to be somewhat comfortable.Trust me, being comfortable makes ALOT of difference in how you hunt and how long you stay

I've got the sleeping pad already and a crazy creek lounger that works as a 3/4 pad for a little added support. I have been using a 4 man coleman tent that I've had for about 10 years, it has been through some pretty good storms without many problems it's just to big and to heavy to try and pack in very far. A couple miles in it works but it's a pain. The same goes for my old bag. Two miles from the truck was doable but any farther would have to be a day hike out and back or a miserable first day. Now that I'm planing on going out farther for longer I will need some new gear. I got the bag I just need the tent. I've spent enough nights huddled under a tarp with an old down filled canvas bag when I was a kid I know I need a little more room in the mornings and a place to read if I get socked in. I don't need a top of the line tent that has a name worth more than the material used to make it. So far I like the looks of this one.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28224

I pick out tents like I do rubber rafts. Get one made for one more person that you will have in it so there is room for your gear. Get one with a rain fly that covers the tent, not just the screen vent in the top. Then all you have to do is set up in a place where the rain won't run in at the bottom should you get more than a sprinkle.

You will have to spend a few more bucks than you have mentioned. That is if you want to make one trip. Depends in how far you really plan on going in. You can always make a couple trips if needed. All the variables have to be looked at.

Here's my take on gear. I know some can't afford as much as others,so you have to improvise at times Myself, I try to go with quality,and if I have to wait on a item I will.

With that said; I hope you have to make multiple trips on your way out. Happy Hunting. !!!

You can get a kelty tarp for about that. Pitch it right and it will keep you dry in all but the worse storms. Hit ebay for some tyvek to use as a ground cloth to keep your bag clean and dry.

Tents

I have both of these tents for my boys (scouting) Kelty Grand Mesa, had them at Sportsman's Warehouse for $119.00, I can personally attest that this tent is bombproof, weighs about 5 pounds. I just picked up a Kelty Zenith 49.99 at Target. They cut the cost with fiberglass poles, cheap stakes, no vent in the rain fly and only one door. but the material is consistent with the Grand Mesa, and I can pick up better stakes. Still weighs 5 pounds. Happy Trails!

If your hiking with a friend I'd recommend a 4 man tent. One guy carries the tent and the other carries the rain fly and poles. The divided weight is a lot less and you get more room in the tent.
Please note: if your less than 45 years old and your wife hunts with you this method works great. If your over 45 years old then two bivys spaced greater than 50 feet apart is recommended.

Please note: if your less than 45 years old and your wife hunts with you this method works great. If your over 45 years old then two bivys spaced greater than 50 feet apart is recommended.
. I think if your over 45 some young buck should pack it in for ya. Song with the cit or hammock.

I just picked up an Alps Mystic 1 off amazon for $80.00 shipped to my door.I set it up when it came in it is small you will need a mummy bag in it for sure.It seems to be an ok tent for the price.It weighs in a little less than 4lbs and packs down to 6"x16".It will last me awhile as I only camp if I have to and not for the fun of it.

I understand financial constraints, but you could really get into a pickle quickly with a cheap tent if you are a long ways in.

If you are only in a few miles, carry on with the $50 tent and enjoy the hunt!

Or, you could always borrow a tent from someone you know for this first trip, then buy the one you really want after saving up the bucks. Also, if there is a chance of getting stuck in the tent due to weather, like you mentioned above, I would not suggest a bivy as you will want room to stretch out and/or sit up after a while.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back