Pentax vs Meopta

icb12

Needing new binos for fall. Would love a set of ELs or Geovids, but reality says that isn't going to happen.

In my price range, I'm looking at the Meopta Meostar B1 10x42s (same exact thing as the Cabelas branded "Euro" binos), or the Pentax DCF ED 10x42s.

I DO NOT have the opportunity to try these both side by side anywhere, and don't have the cash to buy both and send one back. Has anyone here compared these two? Or willing to go somewhere and do a comparison and get back to me?

Internet reviews make them seem highly similar optics wise, both represent good values while not be too far off of the super high end glass. I am interested in anything you have to say about them, fit, finish, optical impressions, durability, etc.

Any options I am missing? Zeiss classics maybe, or Trinovids?

Appreciate any help.

I have a pair of Pentax right now. Optically, they are nice binos. Durability wise, they are pretty poor. The coatings on the lenses scratch off REALLY easily. IMO, stay away from Pentax if you are hard on gear.

I have the Pentax DCF ED's and have had no problems with them but I have only had them about 8 months or so and I use a bino chest pack in order to keep them cleaner. No problems yet and I am impressed with their clarity. I was told that the Nikon EDG are very clear as well as the Vortex Razor's.... same price range. You might be able to pick up some Swaro SCL's used for a little more $.

My choice would be Minox over anything you have listed. A friend of mine has the Meopta, side by side comparison to my SLC's they didn't fair well.

I have an older pair of Pentax, and ain't impressed with anything about them.

The Ziess classics are 'old' technology, you're paying for the name on a pair of bino's that rate middle of the road by todays standards. 20 years ago they were top of the line.

I friend bought a pair of the Vortex Razors and we compared them side by to my SLC's. Very good comparison, only thing that was off was the clarity, but only slightly.

My girlfriend has a pair of Minox HG 8x33 BR (now discontinued) that are outstanding. They compare clarity/color wise to my SLC's. I wish I would have bought a pair when they were closeing them out, I think they were $350-400. They're 3x that now that their made in Germany, and they're exactly the same.

This would be my pick if I was looking for a pair of bino's today.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62155

The coatings on the lenses scratch off REALLY easily. IMO, stay away from Pentax if you are hard on gear.
That's interesting, since Pentax is pretty well known for their hard coatings. Thanks for the heads up.

I have the Pentax DCF ED's and have had no problems with them but I have only had them about 8 months or so and I use a bino chest pack in order to keep them cleaner. No problems yet and I am impressed with their clarity. I was told that the Nikon EDG are very clear as well as the Vortex Razor's.... same price range. You might be able to pick up some Swaro SCL's used for a little more $.

I've been hearing a lot about the vortex razors, but I handled one of their rifle scopes and it just turned me off to them. But I might have to give them a look.
My choice would be Minox over anything you have listed. A friend of mine has the Meopta, side by side comparison to my SLC's they didn't fair well.

I have an older pair of Pentax, and ain't impressed with anything about them.

The Ziess classics are 'old' technology, you're paying for the name on a pair of bino's that rate middle of the road by todays standards. 20 years ago they were top of the line.

I friend bought a pair of the Vortex Razors and we compared them side by to my SLC's. Very good comparison, only thing that was off was the clarity, but only slightly.

My girlfriend has a pair of Minox HG 8x33 BR (now discontinued) that are outstanding. They compare clarity/color wise to my SLC's. I wish I would have bought a pair when they were closeing them out, I think they were $350-400. They're 3x that now that their made in Germany, and they're exactly the same.

This would be my pick if I was looking for a pair of bino's today.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62155

The FOV on the minox blows. That was my impression anyway when I used a pair. Great optics though for the money. Thanks for the input!

I have a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks that I like but I am no optics guru of anything

The Pacific Rim Minox HG is listed at 320' @ 1k yds while the Pentax DCF ED is 315'. Meopta shows 330' for the B1 and the new German Minox HG is 355'.

Guessing I probably wouldn't like the pentax then. Because I didn't care for the Minox at all.

Edit: the minox I tried were 8x though. Perhaps I should see if I can find some of the 10x variety.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back