Seeking more input

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Eveyone warns me that I am fool to always be seeking input on this site. I disagree. Seeking input is just that, input. It helps form my decisions. I think most you guys know I am going to make the final call, but weighted with great measure of your feedback. It has worked pretty darn good to this point.

So, there are two topics I am seeking some input on:

Downloads of our episodes:

Would any of you purchase downloads of our episodes for your phone, computers, ipads, etc?

Many say that is a waste of time in a small market like hunting TV. I am not so sure. I know when I am on a plane, or in a blind, I spend a lot of time listening and watching such things.

Am I in the minority, or would you guys pay for downloads of episodes, or entire seasons? They would be priced the same as most downloads of music and video.

The download groups have some minimums before they will sign you up. I would want to fork out the minimums, if I was the only guy in the hunting world who would buy a download.​

Commerce Page on the Site:

When a site reaches a certain level of traffic, you get a lot of inquiries about advertising or selling products. I have resisted until now, allowing only companies related to the TV show to have banner ads on the site.

Here is an idea that I am considering.

I am thinking of setting up a page called something like "Commerce for Conservation." We set up all those other companies with links and ads on that one page, keeping the rest of the site as it is.

We would get paid a commission for every transaction. These groups don't pay for being on the site. We only get paid if an event occurs, with an event being a purchase.

When commissions come in, the commission is split. Half goes into a pool that will be redistributed to the conservation/hunting groups each year. We keep half of the commissions for the cost and overhead of maintaining the site.

We will list the conservation groups who we think are doing good work. You guys vote for your favorite group, and when it is all said and done, the pool of conservation commissions is split according to your votes.

In other words, if we have $5,000 to split and 40% of your votes are for group ABC, we send them $2,000. And so on.

We set up a separate page on the site that guys could go to and buy product from this growing list of groups who want to advertise. These are not necessarily hunting related companies, though some are.

But, we still keep our policy that banner ads are only available only to those companies relevant to the TV show. I don't want to pollute the rest of the forum/site with banner ads that are not related to the show, giving preference to the partners who support On Your Own hunting.

We end up with one page where all this commerce is centered. You could go there and buy things, and know you are supporting conservation. It costs you nothing extra and allows you to do something that puts commissions to a cause you support.

So the questions is this - Would you guys be inclined to use the links on that commerce page, if you knew it would generate money for conservation groups and provide some money for us to further the message of On Your Own hunting?

Many of the links would be non-hunting things, such as cameras, computers, all the things available at Amazon.com, boating supplies, flowers, travel, you name it, we can put it on there and generate money for conservation.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ummm, let me see.... This is how you make a living, right? You need to do what you need to do to stay afloat. However, I am sure you will hear that you have screwed up from somedody along the way.
JMHO

The download idea is intriguing. I like the idea of not wasting a dvd on something I could get access to electronically. I don't have a phone or iPad that I could use for the downloads, but I'm able to stream videos from my laptop to my tv.

I don't have a problem with the added commercialization as long as you stick with the game plan you outlined above. I don't have too many hunting buddies so I'm typically not in the loop as far as all the new gadgets and companies that seem to be popping up left and right these days. It definitely would be a nice way to check out some new and reputable companies/organizations I'm not familiar with.

I am ok with the above commercialization as long as I'm the one searching for said product and it is not aggravating me when all I want to do is come on hunt talk or something else show related...the download well I don't download anything except the occasional song or two so I wouldn't be much help there

On the note of downloads, I don't know if I would do it because likely I'd watch episodes on TV. I got an iPhone4 a few weeks back and this morning got an iPad and while there's a bunch of cool gadgets and whatnot, I'm not sure I'm going to be taking those into the hills with me. Perhaps, but I just don't have that visibility yet.

Yeah, I'm cool with the commerce/link clicking section.

I personally don't do the download to the phone thing. I will read printed articles on my phone, computer. But when it comes to watching TV, I save it for the TV.

All for the commerce page. Would definitely work with an advertiser if I knew the funds would go to conservation causes. As long as they didn't start spamming my email with a bunch of offers!

The commerce page sounds like a great idea. I would go there to buy things. I would never download shows though, that is what the TV is for.

Randy, I don't have a TV so I'm going to buy your DVD or down load it each year. To date I still prefer the DVDs because I've got some friends that also watch the DVD. If you offered downloads of episodes and footage that didn't make the cut for the TV show I would probably download that. I don't know if you could sell enough downloads to justify the added expense for the extra editing or not.

This is kind of a different train of thought but realitive to the download topic. Would it be feasible at all for hunttalkers to put their videos up for download and split the profits with you like other companies want to do? I know that I have a ton of video that I think would be interesting to others and I would also be willing to pay for quality downloads even if the people making the videos aren't "stars"

As far as the commercial site. I would be okay with a seperate page and when I was going to purchase something I would be inclined to shop there if it helped conservation groups and didn't cost extra. I'm not cool with companies spamming my email or popup banners and such like when I'm on the shopping page. I don't mind flashing adds, but I better not have to push X to avoid reading an add. If I want to see an add I'll click on it and read it.

I think both are great ideas. I have the Sportmans channel, but scheduling makes it hard to catch each new episode. I do not DVR, so I would buy the downloads on a one off basis and still buy the DVDs (got both seasons so far). We watch them while playing cards at night on the laptop at fish/hunt camp. As far as the ads/commissions, I say anyway you can monetize your site you should. We all expect to get paid for what we do and you should be no different. More power to you....and that you are giving HALF of your share to our joint conservation efforts and benefit, all the better.

Once an episode has been on tv I don't understand while people feel the need to charge for it. I watched it on tv for free so why should I pay for it again. It's just a way to dupe more money out of people IMO. Now I know there are a few people's who don't have tv and use the Internet to see things, but there again, you made it public already on tv, why charge people.

Once an episode has been on tv I don't understand while people feel the need to charge for it. I watched it on tv for free so why should I pay for it again. It's just a way to dupe more money out of people IMO. Now I know there are a few people's who don't have tv and use the Internet to see things, but there again, you made it public already on tv, why charge people.

Did you read from my question that we were going to charge people to watch it here? Not the case.

No intent to dupe people out of more money. If they want to watch it on other devices besides their TV or watching it on this site, they would have to pay the download fee, most of which goes to the company administering the download.

Are you implying that I should make downloads free and pick up the cost that is charged by the download groups, such as itunes?

My question was whether or not someone would utilize these download services, not whether people think they are getting duped by paying for a download, which would be another option in addition to having it available on TV or on this site at no additional cost to what they currently pay for TV or web.

Most realize that your TV show is paid by your ability to find advertisers & sell them time. THAT AINT EASY!!! This is the business model and thats why it is free to US.

You must charge for content Randy! The only other way is for you to upsell your TV advertisers or get more advertisers to buy into your internet programming. It is a small market, but you can't give stuff away for free, forever, as we won't have a GREAT DIY show to watch in a year or two. Those that value it will, those that don't like these applications or devices won't.

What the hell is DUPE? :confused:

Last edited:
I don't watch shows period on any electronic devices other then the TV or home computer at home. The guys I know in this sport use DUMB phones and watch their favorite shows on the big screen at their house. That said, the episodes should be available here to watch on the site. Other than that I'm not sure it'll make much money. I'm certainly not an expert at this though.

As for the sites, I'd go directly to the sites I needed rather then traveling through here to get to them. I know what I want and will go there directly. It has nothing to do with whether or not I'd be generating dollars for conservation or not. By the time I realized each time where I needed to get to and went there on the web it'd be too late. Having a bank of websites to businesses related solely too hunting would attract me however to the commerce section as it would serve as a reference for anything I might need related to the sport.

I realize this may be a little too honest, but I think rather than sugar coating it, you'd rather hear the truth. I look to this forum for info and advice, yes that means input, constantly. It shouldn't serve solely as a bragging board and I don't think a lot of guys treat it that way. Coming here for input from the guys who are deeply invovled in the sport, spend their money in the hunting market and are using this forum to better themselves as sportsman is the right thing to do. Good luck!

I like the download option for shows. I don't get the sportsman channel and I don't really purchase dvd's. I have an iPhone and computers that would allow me to download the shows anytime. I travel a lot for work and wait for appointments with plenty of downtime.

The commerce page probably wouldn't get much traffic here. Banners of sponsors is cool and active partners with their own forums offering deals would be ideal. Let's say Schmalts had a forum for Predator Optics, he could post specials and answer questions on items he sells. Other vendors could have paid forums offering their products straight to their customers (us) as well. If I am looking for flowers or a vacation I won't think Hunttalk but if I need a pack or tent or whatever type of gear I would look for advice and a deal from a advertiser on here. Ultimately it's your call but I think The personal feel of this site may recede a bit with generic advertisements.

Did you read from my question that we were going to charge people to watch it here? Not the case.

No intent to dupe people out of more money. If they want to watch it on other devices besides their TV or watching it on this site, they would have to pay the download fee, most of which goes to the company administering the download.

Are you implying that I should make downloads free and pick up the cost that is charged by the download groups, such as itunes?

My question was whether or not someone would utilize these download services, not whether people think they are getting duped by paying for a download, which would be another option in addition to having it available on TV or on this site at no additional cost to what they currently pay for TV or web.

Randy,

I see both sides here and only presented one side. I understand there is a cost to provide the episodes to the public in additional formats other than live TV and did not convey that in a very good light.

On one hand you have people who have not seen the show, but want too and don't have the means too view it and lets say they don't have the Sportsman channel. They do however either have the internet and/or are willing to pay for a DVD.

Both of those options cost money and someone, the consumer, you believe should pay in one way or another as they cost in people and services/hardware.

Now for the devils advocate(Lets say my original side).....I do have the Sportsmans channel and I want to watch it over and over. I already pay to see it because I pay for the channel in one way or another. Now I get the issue still is if YOU have to provide it in other formats it cost money and you want the consumer to pay for that format.

Now for the kicker....How about I record the TV of which I have ALREADY paid for...and provide downloads of it for free to the world? There is not cost on your end at all....I will set up a download server and use my internet for them to download it.

Is that a problem? It costs you nothing for ME to do this...I will foot the bill for my own server. Well of course it's a problem...because no one(ehmm...your production company) makes no money....Hence my original statement and poor choice of words (dupe) people out of more money.

Another question... I already paid for it with paying for the channel and I can prove it. Are you going to provide me a free digital copy? Of course not, because it costs you money.

Maybe dupe is a bad word, but in the end you want to change me for additional services the internet already provides, it's just the productions company does not make any money if you allow us to use them.

I'm really trying to not come across as ass, but when it comes to issues like this where people want to charge for something other people are will to provide for free it's hard. You already made the money back in other ways I assume or the TV show would not exist.

I could go on, but I won't...You and I both know the reality is money in the end and if I provide it for free to the world someone will say it's against the law.

I guess to answer the original question the way you put it, No, I would not pay to download something I already pay for.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with a commerce page. As long as that is what it is. We have the option to go to that page if we feel like it. Not just pop ups or banners floating around on what is already here. I like the way the banner adds are now and if we chose to look at that site click. Will I use the adds if you have another page for them? I would prefer hunting, but understand there areany other things avaliable. Xy company has a site and they also advertise on you site and gurantee that a percentage goes toward conservation of our choosing, that's a no brainer for us. I'd choose that route versus google them or a known site. I will not put up with spam. No floaters on the page. If that happened the decon and eagle seven would be put to work

As for downloads idk depends on if it's the full season. Price versus a DVD I would like to see more than just what's on tv. Maybe a more in depth footage.

As a busisness owner , I know you have to do different things to make ends meet. Sometimes it's hard for change But you stated once about walking in tracks. If your following in someones tracks your not getting anywhere.

I apreciate being able to view and respond to this kind of decision. Not very many companys will do this. Most are usually here it is. Take it or leave it.

So answers from me on both options would be yes have it avaliable if anyone wants it.

Will we be able to pick our conservation group by voting
Will it be across the board or we pick ourselves.
Will we be able to split between groups.

Randy

Go with the downloads, I hate DVDs. I will pay for this service.

This is something I would expect out of you. You changed the direction of hunting shows when you entered into the TV market and had great success with it. If you just stay with the DVD route you are falling right inline with every other hunting show (you might as well get some feeders and start just shooting whitetails, turkeys, and hogs). HAHA.

I also think this will appeal to the younger sportsman/women, and give you the advantage on relaying your message. You don't see people walking around with portable CD players anymore, it is all MP3s, Ipods ect.

Being able to download the episodes or the entire season is long overdue. Because trust me it is no fun trying to download all your DVDs so you can watch them on your Ipad or other devices.

look forward to being able to download season 3?!?!?

....... but in the end you want to change me for additional services the internet already provides .....

Maybe I am not making it clear about what I am talking about.

I am NOT talking about charging anyone for services the internet already provides, such as streaming of the episodes here. The streaming of the episodes will be free here, even if it costs me bandwidth to stream those episodes. That was something we were not able to do with the prior network, but can do with Sportsman Channel.

People will be able to watch here for free.

What I am talking about is allowing people to have it in other formats, such as downloads to the MP3, iPod, etc. There would be a cost to that, the same as if they want it in other formats, such as a DVD. The download option would be cheaper than the DVD and would be portable.

The bottom line is Advertizing is $ to further the thing we came here to do. If you were to put say Commerce with the Research pages as Banner Links (No Pop Ups) that would be great. If I want to do Research and I see a Banner it's my choice to click it or go on with my original idea. Sorta like walking through the pasture, you can walk though a Cow Pie or around it, you still get to where your going. John

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back