Advice on Backpack Sleeping Bags

goshawk

Looking for a new backpacking sleeping bag. I currently have a 7 1/2 lb -20 bag that keeps me plenty toasty but as you can imagine is a bit bulky and heavy after awhile and am looking to upgrade to something lighter. I know this topic has been covered in a dozen threads but the price is a bit of an issue for me (Something under $200). I still would like to keep a 0 degree temp rating but other than that am open to suggestions. If anybody has any experience with some budget friendly bags that have kept them comfortable I'd greatly appreciate the imput. Thanks

For 2 Bills and under you are gonna be getting a synthetic bag. Don't know if you care but it'll take another $100 or more to get into a good Down bag.

I researched bags til I was blue in the face and had a similar budget. I landed on a Big Agnes Yellow Wall 0 degree. I needed the extra shoulder room and liked the decreased weight (no insulation on bottom). I didn't think I would like the integrated sleep pad pocket but paired with an insulated Air Core, I am very pleased so far. I have not been in less than 40 degrees with it yet though. If you like a fuller(non mummy) cut check out a Big Agnes Farwell.

If you don't like the Big Agnes system take a look at the Marmot Trestle and Mont Bell Super Spiral Burrow #0.

There are of course A LOT more bags out there but all these bags are very good quality and will weigh 3-3.5 pounds less than your current bag.

I second the Big Agnes recommendation. I 'waller' around alot when I sleep, so having the pad attached to the bag is a big plus for me. I have the Lost Ranger.

You'll want to pick up the Backpacker 2011 Gear Review issue. They're a bunch of wilderness lovers (can't blame them sometimes) but they KNOW their stuff about gear. They compare and contrast a TON of bags, tents, boots and packs. They also have info about other gear for the year. Anyway, I would start with the reviews there....they've got wieghts, prices, you name it. For your price range a Big Agnes is prolly the best and they are a well respected brand. I went through this whole thing myself this year and using Backpacker magazine then going out and doing some comparison pricing I was able to find the right bag. That said, also take a look at Promotive.com. You have to join, but once you do the brand new 2011 Big Agnes stuff is 30-40% off. Marmot is on there as well, but I don't get discounts on that brand and in general they are expensive. Good luck!!!

MHMT...thanks for the link. Now you have me thinking about that kelty....has down...and good price.

I have a BigAgnes, Marmot and an old Moonstone. All bags are down and rated 0 or better. Different brands because I shopped around, found deals, and did not pay over $250. If you are a research kinda guy, do more research until yer blue. My feeling is they all make and stand behind good bags. You should be able to find a good deal in your price range and get what ya want. Do not focus on the brand as much as correct fit, weight, degree and material = 3.5lbs, 0 and down. **Check Sierra Trading Post for killer deals on bags under 3bills, and I thought I saw in my recent Cabelas flyer a goose down bag for backpackers for $199? (I bought my moonstone moons ago, at a going out of business sale and 50% off landed me a bag of a lifetime)

I just bought a 0* Big Agnes down sleeping bag from Hunthardcore.com for $230.My old one was like yours,very warm but too bulky.I'll probably be packing in 5-7 miles in Montana this year so I had to upgrade some gear.I also got an unbelievable price on a new eberlestock blue widow pack from him.He gave me new for what he priced a used one for
Anyway, give him,Dan, a try I HIGHLY recommend his business and his service--hunthardcore.com

Stick to "store" brands - Eastern Mountain Sports Boreal 0 degree is regularly $199 (I just checked online & it's currently selling for $159 on sale). Great bag, brand w/ a great reputation & 100% satisfaction guarantee. Weighs in at 4 lb 5 oz. The REI Lumen 10 degree is worth a look too. I have never owned any Cabelas gear so I can't account for their return policy or quality. My guess is, you can't go wrong w/ them either.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back