Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ring-necked ducks

fishing4sanity

Just got a couple of drake ring-necks back from the taxidermist. I picked up the wood a couple years ago fishing a small river and thought it would make a good base for a fish or bird mount someday.

Attachments

• IMG_4491a.jpg
    IMG_4491a.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9,257
Hatchie, the taxidermist is Leon Mathews in Kennewick, WA. I've had him do several ducks and geese for me and I've always been happy with his work.

Damn..I think the divers look the best as mounts, or for that matter, in hand. Those are gorgeous, and thanks for sharing.

mdunc8 you definitely should get into duck hunting, every time I drive through your area (which unfortunately isn't often enough) I see beautiful birds. It doesn't get your blood pumping like hearing a bull bugling or holding your bow at full draw waiting for that doe to get out of the way, but I love bird hunting and another excuse to get there is always good.

Divers are real trophy ducks. I don't hunt ducks, but enjoy seeing ringnecks and goldeneyes whenever I can. To me, the trophy of all ducks is the barrows goldeneye.

I have always wanted to get a few ducks and geese mounted. those look great. what do you do to keep them before taking them to the taxi? Just keep them cool and dry or do you have to skin them just asking have never done anything with a bird and would like to in the future. thanks

mhungerford, I've heard lots of different things like putting them in nylon panty hose to keep all feathers in place, or wrapping the bill in paper, etc. The taxidermist I use just told me to put them in a plastic garbage bag and roll it up and put it in the freezer. To save room or protect the neck from getting broke off I sometimes tuck the head under a wing, but I don't clean or skin the birds, just freeze them if I can't get them to the taxidermist right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back