RMEF - More Sponsor News

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you who have been watching the show since the beginning know that I have been a big promoter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. I have been an RMEF member since "Moby Dick was a minnow."

It was not until the mid-90's that I got to see their work first hand, as I jumped into the political frays of hunting politics. That was the Gallatin I and Gallatin II Land Exchanges. Many who hunt southwest Montana may not realize that until the mid-90's, the Gallatin, Madison, and Bangtail Ranges were a huge checkerboard of public and private land.

Historically, we hunters had enjoyed access on, and across, those private lands owned by Plumb Creek, the land holding arm of the old railroad company, Burlington Northern. But, Plumb Creek sold those lands to an out of state company and overnight the access for hunters was changed dramatically.

The new owner was closing hunting on parcels where Plumb Creek had previously allowed hunting. They were also closing access across all their parcels that hunters had historically used for reaching the NF lands. 60,000 acres of the best elk hunting in SW Montana, plus many times that amount of public land, was quickly becoming off limits.

It took four years and two Acts of Congress, but in that time, the lands were consolidated and access was retained to most all of the Gallatin and Madison Ranges, with the exception of some consolidated private parcels south of Big Sky.

I can honestly say that without RMEF, those two land exchanges would not have happened. They were the one group that was able to get things done. They risked millions of option money to hold the deal together while we worked to find other funding and other lands for trade in the consolidation. Never were they worried about who got credit. It was RMEF and their members working for the benefit of elk and hunters that got that ball across the goal line.

Seven years ago, the critical migration path and hunting areas of Taylor's Fork were platted and ready for subdivision. The Trust for Public Lands put together an option to buy those lands. RMEF ponied up some big bucks and went to work to put together the resources and political captial to get that deal done. Those who hunt there today can appreciate what it would be like if the thousands of acres on the north side of the drainage had gotten developed into the 20-40 acre ranchettes that was underway.

About eight years ago, I was an advisor on the opposite side of the table from RMEF on Royal Teton Land Exchange. I can tell you that without Ron Marcoux and his RMEF group holding things together, my client would have walked away from the deal and the thousands of acres of winter range, hunting ground, and easements just north of Gardiner, Montana would not be there for the enjoyment of hunters. Hundreds of elk were shot on those grounds last season.

That is just a sample from my part of the elk world. The RMEF footprint in other "elky" places is equally significant.

I could go on and on. I feel fortunate to have worked on projects that RMEF was involved with. Without those experiences, I would probably view them as another good group, send them my $50 each year, and wait for a great magazine to show up in my mail box.

From those experiences, I have committed myself that I will do what I can for elk habitat on public lands and public access for elk hunters. And since our show started, I have done all I can to promote the work of RMEF and their members, and when possible, put my shoulder to the wheel and help wherever I can.

The members of RMEF are what make it the organization that it is. They are the volunteers working on projects, raising money, donating their own funds, and being activists for elk and elk hunters. Some of the greatest people you could meet. And almost all of them share the On Your Own hunting lifestyle that we celebrate with this show and this website.

Like all groups, we can find something they have done that we did not agree with. That will happen when you are pushing the ball forward. Yet when you measure their accomplishments in their entirety, elk, elk hunting, and elk hunters are all greatly enriched by the work of RMEF and their members.

So, it with great pride that we announced today that OYOA and RMEF have formalized what has been a great relationship. I will continue to work tirelessly toward the mission of RMEF and the benefits their work provides of the On Your Own hunter. You will see a lot of combined efforts of OYOA and RMEF as we jointly promote the On Your Own hunting experience to those millions of elk hunters in the country.

Link to the release provided. here - http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1303888830nr7h668wtek

And in my shameless way, here is the first plug. If you are not a member of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, I would ask that you do so. For the cost of much less than a tag, or even half a tank of gas, you can do a lot to help the cause of elk and elk habitat. Here is a link for those of you so inclined to join.

http://www.rmef.org/Members/registrationmembership?toshow=memberform

Randy, all in all RMEF is one that stands for the hunter & habitat and the future of our hunting heritage. They are a great fit for OYOA. Keep it up.

I just became a RMEF member a couple weeks ago. It is great that they are also proud of Randy and OYOA.There latest Facebook post is about Randy and his representation of OYO hunters across the States. Congrats on the partnership!

purchased a RMEF plate for my truck the other day. Always valued RMEF - Interesting Montana Wildlife Federation does not have a plate available.

The plates donate $20 a year (+initial fees) to RMEF. Works for me. Good to know a bit of my registration $$$ went to something I value.

I have not become a member of RMEF - Think I will resolve that with this reminder of the VALUE of RMEF and OYOA!

Thanks Randy for the thread! Great info! and a real wake up to those of us who are supportive of these fundamental issues for our future outdoor activities - in spirit yet will spend $4-5 a day on a Starbucks coffee...
I joined MWF a short while ago - Need to step up my game and join RMEF as well. After all this political activism, it really goes to placing "coffee" money where it is most necessary.
*side note, I don't drink Starbucks (maybe occasionally - haha!) Though I do have my house coffee from wherever. I'll booty up the RMEF member $... and I am sure, I'll still find a way to have my coffee. :D

Grats Randy and RMEF! A fantastic partnership!

I've been a member off and on. The first year I joined, the magazine was a newspaper-like letter.

I agree that they are one of the better hunting orgs. as far as habitat acquistion is involved.

Seems a step back in the right direction for the RMEF to partner with OYOA...congrats to all.

Randy,

That's awesome man! I am glad to see they are supporting a long time member & advocate for true conservation. Honestly, I can't believe it has taken them this long.

Great fit for both OYOA and RMEF!.. I have been a RMEF member since late 80's when the first banquet was held in Rock Springs , Wy. RMEF was very young then and the banquets have certainly improved in format and content. But I assure you the several free kegs of beer for the crowd that night made for a lot of memories, and not all were good for some folks!! The next year had no free beer...

Rmef is great. I've been a member for a long time. Now a life member and support them as much as possible. I would like to be able to go to more banquets and such. Team onya-rmef yea man!!!!

Back