Velvet european

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

I did both of these using the simmer method. It's a real pain, but it can be done.

Cool euros Dainer. Now let's hear the story about the pronghorn in your avatar. Looks like a good one.

Thank you Randy. I drew this tag in my 2nd year out of the waiting period (1 bonus point). During my preseason scouting for my first antelope I found a buck which layed perfectly flat. I love "freak" antelope, and spent my entire hunt attempting to locate him again. As luck would have it, I never found him again and ended up shooting a 14" low 70's buck on the last day, while passing on several bucks which would have made Nevada book(78). Upon drawing this tag, I told myself not to get greedy. My many scouting trips turned up lots of decent bucks, but nothing I was interested in....that is until I saw this buck a week before season opened. He was several thousand yards away and on the run, but I could tell by his cutters that he was a lot better buck than anything I had seen thus far. Opening morning came, and I went to where I had last seen him. Nobody home. After driving to a vantage point I could see a herd of 7 antelope, including 1 buck across the valley. Upon closing some distance, I found a spot to hide the truck and the stalk was on. Once I arrived at the top of a rock outcropping I could go no further. It was my buck, standing there looking at me. I unfolded the bipod and dropped him in his tracks. Much to my suprise he had a 1/2' of ivory on each horn, which I thought was pretty sweet. I was stoked to have a buck I was happy with down on the first day, and to have scouting actually pay off! Can't wait until I can apply again....

Cool story. Congrats.

You got any other pics of him. You may already know this - there are some serious pronghorn junkies on this site. Me included.

I wish he would have been a bit heavier above the prong. And that I wouldn't have blown his neck up :) Nevertheless he made a great mount.
antelope.jpg

My uncle's...
antelope2.jpg

2006 velvet buck

He wasn't a monster but I was happy with him! I had missed two bucks before I got this one. Yes, they were both a lot bigger. I just chocked!

Attachments

• taxidermyn jeffs buck06 022.jpg
    taxidermyn jeffs buck06 022.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,815
  • taxidermyn jeffs buck06 023.jpg
    taxidermyn jeffs buck06 023.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 7,636
really like those euro mounts, hope I can have as good of luck as you on my antelope tag this season.

Simmering refers to the cleaning of the skull. You simmer the meat off, instead of boiling it. To preserve the velvet I use antler in velvet tan, which is available through Vandykes taxidermy. You will notice in these bucks, especially the 4 pt, that they were brought to me a little late. The velvet had already started slipping. You want to preserve ASAP.

This is kind of how I do it. However, doing a velvet buck won't allow you to do a lot of these steps.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125076.0.html

I got a whitetail velvet european mount from an archery hunt a few years ago, they had to wrap the velvet so the beetles never ate it, it turned out nice.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back