Caribou Gear Tarp

Mystery Ranch or KUIU

Brudno

Randy had a good response and gave me alot more insight into the Mystery Ranch, I was going into this year with the plan to buy the Crew Cab in Optifade, then the KUIU pack was revealed Framehttp://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/icon-carbon-fiber-frame-new-photos/ 3000 cubic inch bag http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/icon-3000-review/ for those not familiar with it. I've never read anything bad about the Mystery Ranch pack, I dont have any problem ordering one over the phone and knowing I'll get a great product pack, but like all things I've heard complaints to, mostly with that the pack weighs, and a few comments about the lack of load lifters, Randy really eased my mind that the load lifters were a non-issue. It looks like I've got another rain day tomorrow, and I am going to talk to Mystery Ranch then about this too.

But I'm still at the issue of weight, I'm sure the pack will carry well, and I probably wont notice to much extra weight, but that said the KUIU Icon 3000 is nearly 3.5 lbs lighter, and when your counting ounces on the scale and evaluting what to take and what not to take, and paying more for gear just because it weighs a few ounces less, it seems counter productive to go with the heavier pack, on what I plan as 5-7 day hunts usually. There both going to sell for about the same price as well.

That said though, the Mystery Ranch is very versatile, can be used as a day pack or really a pack that'd expand to carry enough gear to last more days than my body could actually carry, or just a pack to haul anything else I can think of.

Then theres the KUIU that is limited in size to 3000 cubic inches, would do 90% of everything I could ask it too, but comes in a lighter package, and while not out there in consumer hands for use yet, they swear the prototypes, which are very similar to finished product in everything but trim and color.

KUIU is producing some cool stuff for this year and I'm a Sitka guy, but their stuff looks sooooooo goooood (performance wise). I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed with MR though.

KUIU is producing some cool stuff for this year and I'm a Sitka guy, but their stuff looks sooooooo goooood (performance wise). I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed with MR though.

Me too, I really like the Sitka gear, and beleive everything about the camo pattern to be true from my experiences in the field, so I wont be jumping ship. But the time and effort that clearly went into Jasons company, and the way its all portrayed for us to see, in the blog, really says alot, and I can't help but take there word for everything they say about this carbon fiber frame.

FWIW, and not that I would probably know $0.02 different, but on another board some of the comments regarding KUIU's new frame centered around concern for the material being used.

Another light pack option to look at is Kifaru's new ultra light. I have one of their G1 Longhunters and have been very satisfied. This looks much the same, but much lighter. A guy up around Kalispell used one quite a bit last year and was very favorable and commented on how durable the pack material was.

http://www.kifaru.net/KU.html

I am biased toward Mystery Ranch, just based on experience. The only pack I have used for the last three years. That is the safe bet, knowing just how good they are.

I know where it is made, I know what the warranty is, and I know it is going to work for what I need. Not willing to trade the known values for what might be some unknowns.

Good luck with your search.

Crew cab is a batwing design, Kuiu is clamshell. Apples and oranges.
The cc allows you to fill the compartments then expand to haul your meat. If you fill the kuiu main bag, there is no room left for the meat sack contents.

Crew cab is a batwing design, Kuiu is clamshell. Apples and oranges.
The cc allows you to fill the compartments then expand to haul your meat. If you fill the kuiu main bag, there is no room left for the meat sack contents.

Theres a meat cell and they have straps for lashing overflow to the outside, which is essentially how I'll be able to store 5-7 days worth of food and gear in the bag, and carry my sleeping bag/bivy bag combo strapped to the underside of the pack in a waterproof compression sack. If it wasnt for those features I couldnt even consider it.

I wouldn't drop the cash until people get it in their hands and really go over the items. KUIU looks great, but only people selling it or getting it for free have said anything about it. You know what you're getting with Mystery Ranch.

I wouldn't drop the cash until people get it in their hands and really go over the items. KUIU looks great, but only people selling it or getting it for free have said anything about it. You know what you're getting with Mystery Ranch.

+1
I would never spend that kind of money on a pack if I couldn't get my hands on one first..get fitted, look over, get reviews, etc.

If I was looking for a lighter pack I'd be much more hesitant to spring for the Kuiu than the Kifaru UL. That said, I get along well with the nice frame.

Too me the actual weight of the pack would have little to no difference for me especially with the reviews that MR packs get. I could load my kid's school backpack full of rocks and hike around crippling myself or use a good pack that might weigh 3-5 pounds heavier and feel nothing. A good pack will make a heavy load feel lighter and create less fatigue. If your interested in shaving weight then I would look at the stuff your packing before ditching an awesome pack because it might weigh a few more pounds than another.

If I was looking for a lighter pack I'd be much more hesitant to spring for the Kuiu than the Kifaru UL. That said, I get along well with the nice frame.

I looked at that pack to, but I cant get over how delicate it looks, every picture I see of it looks like the entire contents are about to burst out. That said Kifaru has a great reputation and has been around for along time too, but this year will be the first test for that pack as well.

Too me the actual weight of the pack would have little to no difference for me especially with the reviews that MR packs get. I could load my kid's school backpack full of rocks and hike around crippling myself or use a good pack that might weigh 3-5 pounds heavier and feel nothing. A good pack will make a heavy load feel lighter and create less fatigue. If your interested in shaving weight then I would look at the stuff your packing before ditching an awesome pack because it might weigh a few more pounds than another.

You make a good point, but the KUIU has good frame attached to it, and from reviews isnt a comprimise to save weight and no kids backpack. I dont pack unecessary items, and definetly watch my pack weight, but going with a pack that 3.5 lbs lighter would allow me to carry a tripod, head, spotting scope case, without a net difference. I believe everything said about the NICE frame, and its ability to carry a load great, but I think my legs might disagree. But I dont know for sure, and wont until I try them out.

I went ahead last night and ordered the Icon 3000 bag and frame, will give it a solid go this summer, and send it back if I'm not satisfied with it and buy a MR pack. If I keep it, i'll put it to the test this fall and hopefully bring it out heavy a few times, either way I'll report any and all findings.

Ultimately my decision to try the KUIU over the MR came down to weight, reading recent rumors about possibilities of a redesigned NICE frame thats lighter and taller, which kept me away from buying the current one it hope of a future design. And that both of them will require me to store overflow in dry bags outside of the main compartments when transporting meat. Only difference being that with the KUIU bag, I'll be able to store all my gear in the pack until that point, and with the CC, I'll have everything I cant fit inside the 1900 ci out of the main pack the entire time. Not a big deal, but just one of the little things. I do think that, if the KUIU doesnt work out for me though that the MR longbow will work out the best for me in the future, and utilize it the same way as I plan to the KUIU, even if it is just a hair smaller than what I ideally need.

With Jasons guarantee in the KUIU bag, and MR as a back up, if the KUIU pack doesnt live up to all of its expections I dont think I could go wrong.

I am looking forward to your review at the end of the year. Will be interested in some photos of the pack in action and loaded down. I for one will not abandon my MR it has been too dependable. I placed an clothing order from KUIU this AM and am looking forward to testing it out.

I look forward to hearing your review. Sounds like you can't go wrong with a guarantee like that. Take some action shots for us!

KUIU is going to be a good one no doubt, but it's a 'first' year pack...A lot of changes will go into the next couple years you watch...

MR is said to be shaving off weight on the Crew Cab next, as they just did the make-over on the DragonSlayer...

I really liked the KUIU 3000, but again it's a first year production...Looking hard at the DragonSlayer, but it has a small CI (2300) although it now has a 80# carry capacity...I'm stuck....LoL!!! :D

but this year will be the first test for that pack as well.
Well sort of. There's been more than a few that have been using these packs for over a year. Some of the reviews are over on 24hourcampfire, look for the posts by EdT in the Backpacking section. FWIW...

MR is said to be shaving off weight on the Crew Cab next, as they just did the make-over on the DragonSlayer...
There is to be an updated Bighorn as well, a la Dragonslayer. Might be the extra ci's you're looking for.

Brudno,

I just sent you a PM about the KUIU ICON 6000, a 6000 ci version of the ICON 3000. I think that it might answer your remaining requirements.

Larry

I am as green as a green backpack hunter can possibly be but I've read quite a few posts on this forum that are only assumptions and speculation. Lots of guys are basing their opinions on other peoples opinions which is useless when gather info to select a pack that is best suited for their needs. I know this first hand as I was also in the market to purchase a hunting pack. I read reviews and blogs for months and made phone calls to all the best pack companies. At the end of my search it came down to the MR Crew Cab. They were the hottest pack on this site and it hasnt appeared to change one bit. I ordered the pack from the very helpful and attentive guys at MR. When I received the pack I was very impressed with quality and down right ruggedness of the CC. Anxiously, I threw on the pack and was in aw being my first real pack! It felt great and was looking forward to using it on 2 NM hunts I drew tags for in 2009. Before I left I figured I would throw a few pounds in the pack and hop on the treadmill to try out my pride and joy. I did the same for months prior to the hunt w/ my Badlands Superday to get in shape for the thin mountain air which a flatlander like me is never ready for. So, I chunked a little over 30lbs. in the Crew Cab and started my walk. For the first few minutes not a problem I was on my to a great hunt with the best pack money can by. Right? I'm sure you can figure out where this is going. During my walk the shoulder straps started ripping into my shoulders like a piece of rope pulling a tractor. Knowing that sure my shoulders would get tired at some point, so I loosed the shoulders to transfer more weight to my hips. This then caused the shoulder straps to spread out so I tightened up the chestie and thats when I realized Im in trouble. Trying to figure out what was the best configuration I pulled off the pack and adjusted the yoke, waist belt, tension straps etc. basically worked on this for a few hours to no avail. I left for my NM hunt w/o my one time pride and joy"UGGHh". Needless to say I was a bit discouraged and when I got back I continued to work on the suitable configuration. At the end of this entire process Every strap, tension strap and the yoke was all bottomed out and I felt like I was in a cocoon. I couldnt lift my hands above my shoulders much less draw a 70lb bow. The bottom line: NEVER assume or rely on someone else to convince you what they use is the only option. NEVER use information from the guy thats been allowed to test every pack for free who one day states "I finally found the pack that will take the place of every pack out there". Take what you read on forums or blogs with a grain of salt and use that salt for a pot of gumbo. Good luck in your search and I truely hope you find the holy grail of all packs. If you do, keep it a secret for only you to enjoy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back