College Wrestling

Outdooraddict

I know, I know. It might not be a very popular sport but where I'm from, wrestling is what you do. Anybody else got the the D1 quarter's, semifinals, and finals being taped this weekend? Got to say that 149's looks to be a barn-burner in the semi's. I'll be rooting for the local Kevin LeValley- currently ranked 3rd- to win it. It will be a fun match to watch Dake (Cornell) vs. Caldwell (NCSU). Dake and Caldwell are both returning national champions. Any other past-their-prime wresters out there?

Ha! Outdooraddict, yes, I wrestled in high school (Oregon) and loved it. I have been recording the College Wrestling on BTN (Big Ten Network) and every year there are some impressive, and close matches.

Count me in as well. Unfortunately my kids don't have a competitive bone in their bodies.:mad: My last hope for a wrestler is my 4 year old. I recorded last years tournament and have watched 3 times. What channel is it on?

I'm an OSU grad and live in stillwater so hopefully they can get back on top, I think 2006 was the end of their 4 year run. The college wrestling hall of fame is here in town. You should check it out if you get a chance.

Love it! My youngest Nephew, Angelo who just turned 7, wrestled in his first meet this past weekend. It was a huge tourney with pretty much every state West of the Mississippi represented. He steam-rolled through his division and went undefeated. Maybe he can wrestle for the Sundevils someday, perennial top 25 team.

angelowrestles1.jpg

angelotrophy.jpg

Just finished watching the NAIA tournament. NCAA's seems to always have a few more talented kids. Should be a great tournament. Have a buddy who is a Cornell Alum. Don't know if any Montana kids are represented in the tournament but cheering for OSU.

I know that there at least 2 on NDSU team from Montana representing. I'm pretty sure there are a handful elsewhere around the country from Montana.

For our size of state we put out a bundle of All Americans every year. Our most notables are the Zaddick Bros. which both turned out to be world class.

Love college wrestling but I'm a little partial to IOWA.The head coach and assistant coach are friends of mine plus my son goes to school there.They do like to recriut the tough western boys as they usually have a good work ethic.The last couple of years they have had a lot of them on the team and they have done well.On a side note last years heavy weight wrestler from Boise State now works with me.Don't know how he ended up in small town Iowa, something about no jobs at all out that way, but he seems to like it here.Oh ya my sons friend who I take hunting a lot is wrestling for nebraska at I believe 187 so i'll be rooting for him as well.Good luck to everyones favorites,its up in the air this year.

Im pretty sure Boise State has a few MT guys on their team, BSU is pretty legit as well.

I think they/we qualified ten for NCAA.
I tried it for two years in high school as lightweight, but farm kids whipped my A$$! You know, the kids who bucked bales all summer. Bailed and went to track. Little brother lost out every year at state up against the same kids and their brothers. Tough, tough, bunch and I think there was five of them through high school. Neat guys, but brutal!!

I love watching it when they are well matched and really hustling.

My 18 month younger brother was a Nebraska state champ. We grew up wrestling on the living room floor, out in the lawn or just about any where but on the concrete.

It sure came in handy back in my drinking days.

My 18 month younger brother was a Nebraska state champ. We grew up wrestling on the living room floor, out in the lawn or just about any where but on the concrete.

And you never broke anything in the living room??? I know we NEVER did.

And you never broke anything in the living room??? I know we NEVER did.

O.k. I've always rooted for Boise State in wrestling... they just haven't pulled through like I have wanted them to. With the quality of athletes and the difficulty of this tourney- those records don't mean too much. We sent a kid from CO there and he became a national champ at 157- Ben Cherrington. Injured earlier in the season- but peaked and had a great tournament.

I tried to do a wrestler-by-home-state analysis for the west region (MT-AZ) and the numbers look a little like this:

UT has 11 wrestlers
CO has 10
AZ has 4
ID and MT have 3 each

I did see a good representation of KS boys, but no WY, NM or NE... Probably all the local talent is going to Nebraska-Kearney and Nebraska-Omaha and kicking arss in DII. Those boys at Nebraska-Omaha are tough! Too bad they're going to drop their wrestling and football programs... the wrestling program has won 6 DII titles in 8 years!

Another anticipated match: Sonny Yohn MN (Colorado) vs. Clayton Foster OKST(Idaho) That is if they make it to the finals... these two battled at senior nationals (high school) and Foster won that match.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back