1917 Enfield 30-06

birddog32

Got an Eddystone from my Dad when he passed. I hauled this around when I was 14 yrs old huntn whitetail.

Question, has anyone here ever modified or sporterized one? Does it pay to do something like that? Would love to hunt with it but it weighs about 13 pounds and maybe would work for stand hunting.

Or should I just forget that and keep it in WW1 condition? Thanks for reading.

If it has a lot of trigger travel I might ask a gun smith if there is anything he can do to modify it. Otherwise I'd hunt with it the way it is.

I have a sporterized Eddystone which I inherited from an uncle. The barrel appears to be heavier than sporter contour, but I don't know what the issue barrel looked like. A leaf rear sight has been dovetailed into the barrel and a commercial front sight installed. It is a bit heavier than your average rifle, but the action and barrel have been glassed in which adds to the overall weight. One thing I do know is that it is a real tack driver, consistently giving overlapping 3 shot groups with Hornady Custom 150gr BTSP factory loads. That's all I've ever shot in it, so can't speak for it's performance with heavier weights or hand loads. I intend to find out when the weather improves & can get back to the range.

Does it still have the ears on it? IMO, they are great (but spendy) actions to build a big bore off of.

Yes has the ears, its as stock from factory as you can get. Pic upload failed. Factory barrel is completely covered with wood until about 3 inches from muzzle. Butt plate opens. All original parts, I would say good to very good condition.

Leave it as it is, if it's in issued condition. The amount of work that it takes to turn one in to a sporter isn't worth it, plus, a standard issue 1917 is getting hard to find.

You can spend $800 on it and end up with a $500 rifle, or you can leave it as is and watch it appreciate.

I agree with Ben. leave i tthe way it is. I have customized a few and its not worth it, financially speaking of course. Although the 458Lott I had wasnt bad.

Its a big action and deservs a big caliber. Sorry I dont want a heavy gun for a caliber I can put on a lighter rem 700.

Keep it the way it is, it has history.

I used to sportorize those rifles for clients.. back when. I've built them into about any caliber you can think of. If properly converted, they provid an accurate and strong action that is especially suited to high pressure magnum calibers. Exellent for most of the Weatherby magnums and a few of the really big, full length rounds. For what it would cost to do that right today, you could probably buy a couple of Sako's or Winchesters.

I have an 03-A3 Springfield that I sporterized 40 years ago when I was in high school. It still has the original iron sights and was a fun project, but I wouldn't do it again. Back then, these rifles were cheap and readily available. Today they are still relatively cheap, but the cost of customizing them is prohibitive. If mine was original, I'd keep it that way. I think that you have made a good choice.

My Father in Law gave my son a partially sporterized 1917. I finished the job and it is a beautiful rifle. It is a Winchester model and just creates one ragged hole when the shooter does his part. But I wouldn't change an original either.

You will be happy you left it alone. They are a great rifle and shoot very well. You can find some good cheap trigger upgrades too.

Post some pics, I never get tired of seeing old war horses.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back