Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scope for big game

klenke91

Im looking to upgrade the scope on my savage .308, it has the cabelas 3-12x40 pine ridge on it. I know nikon is pretty good for the money, im lookin to spend under $500. Mostly going to use it for big game. Wondering what else you guys have that works great and is affordable

I'm not a big nikon fan as I have broke 3 pairs of their binoculars. I have never owned one of their scopes though.

I just posted this on another scope thread.

. I use mostly leupold the warranty is great if you need it. If money is tight pick up a used leupold if it breaks they will fix it. I have a pentax on my 257 that so far has been working well. Been thinking of trying out a new redfield now that leupold is making them.

I will echo mtmillers comments. You should be able to get a new Leupy VX3 for the $500 budget, either 3x9 or 3.5x10.

Zeiss Conquest, hands down best scope for the money. I think you can get a 3-9x40mm duplex for $399 now.

Leupolds have been great for me, great warranty that I have never needed in 35 years of owning them.
I wouldn't hesitate to try one of the Redfields, they seem to be the best value I have seen in a long time.

Pesonally I am a big Leupold fan. Great scopes for reasonalbe money. I haven't used a Zeiss yet, but a couple of my hunting buddies swear by the conquest.

Just buck up and get the the Huskemaw LOL you know what my vote is here bubba I love my 5-20x44 nikon monarch. Call up Elk Ridge supply in ID just over $400 use the rest to upgrade your mount to a picatiny and then bed the gun. Gezz ud think ud come to your favorite cousin first.

Just buck up and get the the Huskemaw LOL you know what my vote is here bubba I love my 5-20x44 nikon monarch. Call up Elk Ridge supply in ID just over $400 use the rest to upgrade your mount to a picatiny and then bed the gun. Gezz ud think ud come to your favorite cousin first.

And Predatoroptics.com can do better than that for a price;) All good choices but here is also maybe something to consider. The Bushnell 4200 elite scopes get some real good reviews for the money. I have a couple of the tactical models and really like them for the price.
Clear as they get, track perfect.

Last edited:

just seeing what other ways i can go with it, i know you swear by the nikon

I have been a Leupold man my whole life -- until I needed a scope for a new rifle. Checked the Leupold next to a Zeiss Conquest. And as they say, the rest is history. That new rifle now wears a Zeiss.

Another Leupold fan here too! But one other thing you can look at is first, you probably don`t need a veritable scope. Look at getting a better quality fixed scope since fixed are normally less expensive. I have all VX-3 Leupolds and have noticed that they never come off of 3x. Yes, I hunt the eastern part of the country where shots are normally 100 yards or less but I do hunt fields out to 300 yards. Unless you hunt where your shooting at a few hundred yards, you really don`t need it.

Just something to think about.

I just went and looked through a Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature, Vortex Viper and the Zeiss Conquest. They all have their good points and are all good scopes in their own regard. When the guy behind the counter handed me each one it was mounted on a stock, each scope at the same eye relief. The scope that stood out most to me was the Zeiss (Yeah and I love my Leupold). When I brought up the Zeiss I had full field of view as soon as I put it up. Like I say I have a Leupold that I really like it's just a matter of going and looking at them and finding what you like. Just my opinion.

I've heard alot of good on the Zeiss scopes, and they have some of the best glass for the money, how good are they past 300 yards?

Back