Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Worth it?

Bwana

My 13 year old is getting pretty serious about bowhunting and this past season missed a couple of deer because of misjudging the shot distance. A local store had a 10-600 yard Simmons 4x20 range finder that normally sells for $130 on sale for $60. Realizing there are better units out there, is this unit worth the coin for him to use?

I have a Leica 1200 but not real comfortable about turning him lose with that one.

What do you think, will it fit the bill or isn't worth the effort?

buy him a better unit. Although, yeah a leica may be overkill. maybe the nikon buckmasters. >$200 and good deals can be had. No sense putting cheapo equpment in a kids hands when he is getting serious as you say. You could always sell it on ebay if he loses interest.

I think it might give him something to use as he gets ready for the shot......maybe allow himself to calm down and have more confidence in his shots. That is pretty cheap for $60.00. John

I looked at them but decided to spend a little more and got the Redfield. It's a great buy, made buy Leopold, light, small and well under $200. I ranged a pine tree this year at 498 yards that had a bull walking around it. It wouldn't pick up the bull but I have picked up antelope out to about 315 yards.

Are you hunting out of a stand? If so, just hang so tape from trees for your yardage. If you're spot and stalk, I'd definitely get one, but I'd spend the money in case you want to use it for rifle hunting. I bought a cheap Bushnell that's suppose to be good out to 400 yards. I'm lucky if I can get a reading over 200 with it. It's fine for bow hunting though.

Sounds like a great birthday present,or late Christmas present.Encourage his hunting,someday you may need him to take you out

I'd let him make the decision on the unit to buy. We have a few months before bow season. Tell him you will pay up to $ X (or match his earning), and he will earn the remaining amount. with spring and summer coming up he could mow lawns to earn money in time to have the unit for hunting season.

In the mean time he can research the units, and price compare. If he decides he has to get a high dollar unit he will have more time and effort invested in it and have less of a chance of losing it.

I'd say for a first range finder, angle compensation is not a necessary feature. However learning about true horizontal distance is. Teach him about cutting yardage for angled shots, and estimating angle. Hit a hilly marked distance field course to work on applying that concept. Good time spent together.

I looked at them but decided to spend a little more and got the Redfield. It's a great buy, made buy Leopold, light, small and well under $200. I ranged a pine tree this year at 498 yards that had a bull walking around it. It wouldn't pick up the bull but I have picked up antelope out to about 315 yards.

I ended up with a Redfield this year too, and I like it a lot. From the ones I looked at it was by far the best bang for the buck. I suppose if you're one of those guys that spends 90+ days in the field every year you might want to go all out and get a Swaro or something like that, but for a guy like me who does a week with a bow and maybe another week with a rifle the Redfield does just fine.

You have time until next season, to decide on range finder. But at 13, his distance shouldn't have a lot of room to be off real far. As with his age, and experience he shouldn't be shooting real far, probably out to 30 yds. Take him to a few 3D shoots this summer, with some more experienced archers, and get him shots from 10- maybe 35-40 yds. Or find an experienced bowhunter, take him to the range, give him some help with distances, shot process, judging distance, pin shooting, etc.
Bowhunting is something a lot of people learn from a dad/uncle/self taugh, etc. But the best, go through a long process, learn a lot from books and a lot seek professional help.
Buy him Joe Bell's, Technical Bowhunting book, has a lot of good things covered that are going to come up later.

Then next year you can go with the bushnell or nikon for around $200, go on sale from time to time.
Have owed a rangefinder for quite a while now, maybe '99. Always slung around my neck and right arm, but have used it on less than half the shot i have taken.
Good luck, Fish

Fish has it correct. Worth it - no. Your son can probably tell you all you want to know about range finders and price them on his ipod. My 2 cents for your beginner - put your money into 50 or 100 arrows, a big bag of nocks, and a sweet 3D target. (Most bow kills are 30 yards are less. I missed a bull one opening morning @ 11, and have made a few from ~30) Tell him to practice 2 hours everyday with those 100 arrows. When he is 16, he won't be missing much.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back