New scope

174in

Had this built for my new custom rifle that is being built.
DSC00839.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

Hopeing it works good.Looks very nice it took about 3 weeks to get.

Sorry for the big turret pic I resized it wrong on photobucket.I currently have a vx2 4-12 with the fine duplex that I liked so I had the same fine duplex retical built into this 2.5-8 wich I think will work great for longer range.

...me likey! Looking fwd to the range report.
Will do once my gunsmith gets the action he is going to start it may take a few months.Hopefully he has it done in time for my spring bear hunt so I can take it out with me.I would like to have a month or so to get familer with it before I go,if not I will take my 25-06 salvage it shoots good.

I have similar turrets made for my Huskemaw scoped any they work really well last seson. For me holding dead on was much simpler than holdover. I have to ask a couple of stupid questions becasue I don't understand and figure as usual I am missing something that's obvious. Why did you think that a lower powered scope 2.5-8x would be better for a long range gun than a 4-12x? How did you know exactly how fast the gun would shoot the 140 AB (2800 fps) if the is gun is not yet built and the barell not broken in?

I have similar turrets made for my Huskemaw scoped any they work really well last seson. For me holding dead on was much simpler than holdover. I have to ask a couple of stupid questions becasue I don't understand and figure as usual I am missing something that's obvious. Why did you think that a lower powered scope 2.5-8x would be better for a long range gun than a 4-12x? How did you know exactly how fast the gun would shoot the 140 AB (2800 fps) if the is gun is not yet built and the barell not broken in?
Sorry for the misunderstanding what I meant was the fine duplex looks better through the scope at longer ranges than the normal duplex that the scope comes with stock.The crosshairs will cover less of the animals vitals to give me a better aiming point.I have the retical in my 4-12 and like it alot.As far as the velocity goes you are right I have no idea yet of what I will get with the new rifle or wich bullet will shoot the best.I just had to give them a close idea of what I was expecting.After the gun is complete,Chronoed,and find the bullet that shoots good through it I will call leupold and have a new turret built to match the gun exactly it will cost another $30.00 for the turret.I just needed somewhere to start.

I have the fine duplex on my VX-III. I may see if I can send mine in and get a CDS dial.
Yep they should be able to do that for you as long as it is the vx3.I dont think they can do it with the vx1, vx2, or the older vari x models but I could be wrong.I think the price would be the same $90.00 plus the shipping.

I have a later VX-III, but it has the same dials as the VX-3. I will call Leupold and see what they say. It can't hurt to ask.

I understand now. I shot a couple of animals in the 500+ yard range this year and had to have the scope cranked to 20x just to place the shot, I was sitting here thinking theres no way I could have lined up properly at 8x, but that's just me. Antelope get mighty small at 500 yards, especially if your a bad shot like me. Luckily good technique and good equipment can offset lack of talent somewhat. I think you will really end up liking that type setup. I've even gone to a similar setup on my bow where you dial the diatance and I like it as well.

FYI the BC of the 140 Nosler is .485 You can squeeze more performance out of that gun with bullets that have a BC up in the .60 + range that are available for hunting these days.

I dont think they can do it with the vx1, vx2, or the older vari x models but I could be wrong.
I'm pretty sure they'll put a CDS dial on anything above the Rifleman category of scope.

Did the scope not come with a blank MOA turret? I thought they did.

Last edited:
I understand now. I shot a couple of animals in the 500+ yard range this year and had to have the scope cranked to 20x just to place the shot, I was sitting here thinking theres no way I could have lined up properly at 8x, but that's just me. Antelope get mighty small at 500 yards, especially if your a bad shot like me. Luckily good technique and good equipment can offset lack of talent somewhat. I think you will really end up liking that type setup. I've even gone to a similar setup on my bow where you dial the diatance and I like it as well.

FYI the BC of the 140 Nosler is .485 You can squeeze more performance out of that gun with bullets that have a BC up in the .60 + range that are available for hunting these days.
At 500yds any critter is gonna look like it's 25yds away with a 20X scope. Sure would hope one could line up the shot... ;) Heck, even at 8X it'll look like it's only 62.5yds away, which again should be no problem in lining up a shot with any type of reticle.

I guess from my experience I disagree. I think making a 500 yard ethical shot is difficult and don't think my abilities could do it at 8x, I mean my rangefinder is 7x and animals at that range stil look prtetty small to me, but I am no expert.
It soulds like you are more experienced and are extremely confident in making that shot since you said "sure hope one could line up the shot". How many 500+ yard 1 shot kills have you made?

I did some research and could not find a long range hunting gun sold with an 8x scope.
Greybull precision= 4.5-14x
Gunwerks= 5-20x
Thompson long range=4.5-14x

If you look at Leupolds website for the vx-7 you will find 5 models listed. 3 are listed as long range with 14-18x magnification. 2 are not listed as long range with 6-10x magnification. Even Leupold agrees that 8x scopes are not for long range hunting.

Common sense tells you the longer you want to shoot the more magnification you will need. why else are 30x + power scopes made? Under your thinking at 30x a 1000 yard shot is "easy to line up" and like a 33 yard shot, I couldn't disagree more.

When I read that instead of using a 12x scope 174 used an 8x scope It didn't make sens to me so I had to ask why. After listening to some of the reasoning I am still wondering the same thing.

I think that magnification on rifle scopes is somewhat subjective. I shoot prairie dogs at 250 yards with my scope set to 10X, but I don't like to shoot deer past 50 yards with my slug gun scope at 4X. My prairie dog rifle has a 6 -24X scope. I don't like to set the magnification up much past 10X because it reduces the field of view too much. I can get a good bead on a prairie dog out past 350 yards at 10X. My slug gun has a 1.75-4X scope. I have trouble seeing my target well enough at 100 yards on 4X. It's odd, because you would think that a big target at close range would be easier to see, even at 4X.

I never claimed to have made any one shot kills at any distance. Making the shot and lining up the shot, IMO, are two very different things. I don't think I would have any problems being able to see any big game animal at 500yds with enough clarity at 8X to be able to tell whether or not the crosshairs are where they should be. It'd be akin to lining up iron sights or a non magnifying scope on a critter at 62.5yds. Which I have done. Many a long range target/tactical user use scopes of less power than you reference out to 1000yds. It works for them. If 20X is what you feel like you need to get make shots at 500yds, go for it. Different ways to skin the same cat...

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back