Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Carrying your SLR in the field with you

Amand

I was just curious how those of you who take your SLR out into the field with you while hunting pack it along. Do you use any special padding/bags? Do you have it readily accesible or is it packed away and you pull it out when there is a shot you want to take? Do you carry a tripod with you?

This was my first year bowhunting and I decided not to take my camera with too often as I wanted to concentrate more on what I was doing but there were definately a few opportunities I wish I had my camera with.

I carry mine in a small Lowepro case that I can stuff in one of the side pockets on my pack. I usually carry a small digital that has a pretty good zoom and video in my pocket since I usually only bring out a 35mm lens. I'll carry I tripod if I'm doing an overnight trip or will be up high where I can get some good landscapes.

I carried my pentax k200d with a 18-55mm lens and tiffen polarized filter. I carried it around in my day pack, inside an outdoor product dry bag. it was kind of a hassle to get out of my pack, I was going to carry a small tripod also, but I didn't. most of my shots had enough light for hand holding, A lowepro camera pouch would have worked well,for easier quick access
Jim

The Nikon is too valuable to put into the pack, no matter how good the photos are.

I carry a small digital in a case 6.0 megapixels with a zoom. When I get into the tree the camera usually comes out and hangs on a screw-in tree holder, for quick use.

good luck to all
the dog

I've carried my Nikon (D40) all over the mountains and it's done fine. I haven't taken a swim or good tumble with it yet which probably helps. I'd rather take the chance on busting it and not miss some a great shot than leave it safe at home. Just keep it relatively dry and give it a little padding and you're fine.

Last edited:
Carry it in a lowepro case. Strapped unceremoniously to the outside or stuffed inside the big bag. If it's going to be wet, I put the whole case into a lightweight dry sack.

That plus a lifetime no questions asked warranty from Mack Camera means I carry it fearlessly. Mine took a dive off a wicked cliff on Kodiak, smashed. Sent it in, no questions asked, new camera. Took a dip in the headwaters of ship cr. Sent it in, no questions asked, new camera. Rolling, tumbling headfirst ride through the alders on Baldy and nearly used to club an angry moose... cracked body. Sent it in, no questions asked, new camera. Flipped my raft on Montana Cr, with the backpack and camera inside. Found it 2 miles downstream hung up in another jam. Sent it in, no questions asked, new camera.

It's had many other mishaps as well.. but seemed to survive those.

The case works wonders. Mine is bloodstained and torn to pieces but works great, probably saved my camera from many other fates worse than death.

I carry my $1500 Hd sony, in a padded sportsman's warehouse bag in my backpack and I'v never had a problem. I also carry a $30000 swarovski hd 80 in my pack with a tripod. alot of extra weight but I absolutly hate not having them. I'm thingking of training a pack goat just for my camera equipment.Or maybe I should carry my camera gear and let the goat carry my lunch and other not so valuable stuff.

I just throw my Olympus E300 on one side of my pommel bag and extra lense on the other side. My little Sony hd handycam goes in my shirt pocket. I've killed one camera when my horse shook some flys off on a down hill trail across a shale slide. The second camera I killed when the pommel bag got torn off going through some real thick alder growth on a tight trail and the horse behind me stepped on it. My wife made me the deer hide pommel bag and so far I haven't had any wrecks with my latest camera.
lightning4.jpg

I just got one and I plan on taking it with me. As for the tripod I use the cabelas monopod with the padded swivel for shooting that unscrews and I can use it to steady my spotting scope or camera. It also makes a fairly decent hiking staff.

Nikon D90 in a LowePro and packed with a down jacket inside an OR ultralight drybag. Hasn't been broken yet, but time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back