Wierd question, rifles and length of pull

drahthaar

How does one determine his proper length of pull? Is it just individual comfort? Or is there a way to determine what yours should be? Was wondering if anyone has been through some kind of shooting school where this was discussed.

This seems like it should be important for proper technique in long range shooting. Or important for ordering custom stocks and rifles.

This is always a huge subject in discussing shotguns, but I don't see it regarding rifles. Shouldering different rifles I get some that feel really comfortable(they feel longer) where as other stocks feel kind of crowded or "scrunched up"(scientific term) in regards to my trigger arm, elbow, and shoulder. I know there is some leeway in regards to optics, eye relief, etc, and some adjustments that can be made there. Maybe that is why you don't hear length of pull discussed much with rifles?

I'm not sure how valid it is, but I was shown as a kid to place the end of the stock in the crook of your elbow with your forearm at a 90 degree angle to you upper arm and see if your trigger finger is at the trigger. Your forearm should be lying along the side of the stock with your hand flat at the grip. Your arm should look like an "L" with the butt in the junction of the horizontal and vertical lines and your trigger finger at the top, in other words.

Length of pull is really a personal preference. Popular methods ffor determining length of pull only provide approximate values. An eighth of an inch + or - can make a big difference in feel. When I make a rifle I tailor the length of pull to what is most "comfortable" to the buyer using an adjustable "try" stock. You have to take in to account thickness of clothing, A rifle built for hunting in the South will have a different length of pull from one built for Northern hunting. Comb height and stock shape also play a role in determining length of pull in terms of feel. It's much easier to adjust to a short length of pull than to a long one.

You have to take in to account thickness of clothing, A rifle built for hunting in the South will have a different length of pull from one built for Northern hunting.

Awesome, now I need a warm weather rifle and a cold weather rifle! :D

Length of pull is really a personal preference. Popular methods ffor determining length of pull only provide approximate values. An eighth of an inch + or - can make a big difference in feel. When I make a rifle I tailor the length of pull to what is most "comfortable" to the buyer using an adjustable "try" stock. You have to take in to account thickness of clothing, A rifle built for hunting in the South will have a different length of pull from one built for Northern hunting. Comb height and stock shape also play a role in determining length of pull in terms of feel. It's much easier to adjust to a short length of pull than to a long one.

...excellent explanation.

Yep, personal preference. Obviously you want to be with in a range that is cmfortable. As Gundog said, much easier to adjust to a short length than a long one. If you will be doing hunting with thick clothing on, make sure it is comofortable at that lenghth. You should then feel okay with light clothin one. I can shoot my daughters youth lenth 243 as well as I can my rifles.

Back