Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Straight or Angled?

vander34

Looking at getting a nicer spotting scope and wondering what everyones thoughts are on a straight eyepiece as to a angled one.

I prefer straight. Much easier find what you're looking for. Plus, I hardly ever get out of the truck, so the straight one is easier to use with a window mount.

straight. FYI there was a thread(and a survey I think) that addressed this in great detail. Maybe do a search but recall striagth winning out hands down from many responses.

I too like straight, I had an angled and found it harder to find my target at first. And defiantly easier with a window mount.

Angled for me, but it has to be the angled you can rotate the body in the mount.
With angled you can view in a more comfortable position (more so if your tall), use a much lower tripod to have less wind buzz, and if you get one that the body will rotate window viewing is actually nicer when you are looking off to the front or rear of the vehicle because will have have to lean forward or backward a lot less.
Like one has said, there has been a lot of polls on this and it seems that most guys who used both a lot prefer angled and most who use them a little or mostly from a window prefer straight.
Finding the target is a little easier with the straight though.
I would try both in real situations and make up your own mind

Last edited:
unless your hunting flat land....Angled for sure. Much easier on the neck and more comfortable glassing. You will learn in a half of a day to find your target.

I don't understand the "more comfortable" argument for angled spotters. Seems to me that looking straight forward is more comfortable than looking at the ground. I'm guessing guys just aren't taking the time to get set up comfortably. If I'm going to be glassing a long time, I'll get comfortable. Otherwise, I know I won't do as well.

This is from work, but it's an example of getting comfortable. I can sit behind the spotter for hours like this, with no neck strain.

Point.jpg

Here's a photo from a sheep hunt a couple of years ago. I glassed like this all day.

Glassing2.jpg

What do you have for a chair in the cliff shot Oak?

I don't understand the "more comfortable" argument for angled spotters. Seems to me that looking straight forward is more comfortable than looking at the ground. I'm guessing guys just aren't taking the time to get set up comfortably. If I'm going to be glassing a long time, I'll get comfortable. Otherwise, I know I won't do as well.

This is from work, but it's an example of getting comfortable. I can sit behind the spotter for hours like this, with no neck strain.

Point.jpg

Oak, like I said, even more for tall persons;)
I like the angled even more if looking up hills, and you don't need to get comfy.

Thanks guys... I was already leaning toward straight due to hunting Antelope around home can be pretty flat and I figured it would be a pain having an angled on a window mount.

Here is an advantage to an angled that rotates in the mount. If you want to look way behind or in front of you on a window you dont have to turn the vehicle to get a less stressed position on your neck because you can do this. Try this with a straight!
picture.php

picture.php

Nice looking spotter! ;) I've only ever used a straight, but I can see how an angled could come in handy for certain posions. If I get much fatter, I'll be able to rest one on my gut to glass, no tripod needed! :D

If you spend most of your time hiking high and glassing down into or across basins, I think you need a straight. If you are hunting mostly down lower and glassing up to openings, meadows, or avalanche chutes, angled will be more comfortable. IMHO.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back