Yeti GOBOX Collection

Point and Shoot

----

Kaitie and I are looking at a new point and shoot that we can use in Hawaii, then will be my hunting camera from there out.

These are the two I'm looking at right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS7-Digital-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B00395WIXA/

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-SX130IS-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003ZSHNG8/

We're going to be maxed out at about 250. Any suggestions? or ideas on what would be the better between these two?

I'd like to get one with the little bit higher zoom if possible.

I use a Canon G-9 for my pack camera. I have had good results from Canon cameras both in picture quality and durability. I would pay less attention to the megapixel rating and more attention to other features. Cheap camera optics usually negate any megapixel advantage. Look for features like weather resistance.

Panasonic is a good brand, but I have no experience with them. My digital cameras have been Canon or Olympus.

Here's a comparative review for several of the wide-zoom compact cameras. After reading this review I ended up getting the Casio in the review for the wife for Christmas. I got it from Camera Land. They sold me the camera, two year extended warranty, 8 GB card, extra battery, and cheap case for $230 shipped. Get in touch with Doug at Camera Land (gr8fuldoug over on 24hourcampfire) to see what kind of deal he can set you up with whichever one you decide on.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q210grouptravelzoom/

I can't comment on the two you picked, but I've had good luck with Panasonics. I was recently comparing the big brother of the Canon (SX30 IS) and a bigger Panasonic (FZ-40) and went with the Panasonic based on some unfavorable reviews of the Canon.

The inherent problem the bigger zoom cameras face is the fact that they are also increasing megapixels, but not sensor size. Do some reading on the Dpreview forums. You might also want to check out Cameralabs.

I finally decided and went with the Panasonic.

I'll be set as long as the GPS coordinates don't imbed in the file in a retractable way :D

I ended up with the panasonic ZS7 as well. Looks to be a gresat camera. Also want to ensure I am not sending GPS coordinates with photos...

For general outdoor use, I have carried an olympus waterproof/shockproof camera. I like the ability to carry the camera in my shirt pocket and it is ready to shoot at a moments notice. I can take the camera while wading and casting for rising trout and not worry if I drop the camera in the water (as long as its not too deep). I can take picture in the middle of a snow or rain storm. My 2 year old drops the camera and no problem. Great for taking scenery and close photos. Only problem is there is only a 3x optical zoom. However, the image sensor and megapixels allow for cropping and resizing to bring wildlife closer without too much grain in the photo. Sometimes I wish I had an SLR with a long-range zoom however this also adds bulk to carry and time to set-up.
I agree with Oak. The problem with new cameras today are more megapixels and the same size image sensor. This seems to create more grainy photos especially with using a 10-15x optical zoom.

Attachments

• Flathead Lake sunset.jpg
    Flathead Lake sunset.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 113
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back