Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

What Power Scope for a .270 win. ?

greatbasin

What scope for a .207 Win. ?

Leupy 3.5-10 X 40 or a 4.5-14 X 40
Is the 14 power to much for a 40 mm lenses?

Thanks.

Its not too much power under legal shooting conditions. I have one on my 280, and have never wished for more 'glass'.

That said, I have 3x9's all my other rifles and am completly happy.

What distances do you plan on shooting? 14X is not too much but your field of view is cut down pretty drastic.

Probably whatever best suits your eye and your shooting conditions. I have 3.5-10X-40mm on all my rifles. They are great and perform way better than I am capable of.

As Cowboy mentioned, field of view will be reduced at higher magnification, as will light transmission. Just plain optics/physics.

Just started using a 4-16 x42 and love it. Only aimed at and killed one critter with it and had it dialed all the way up to 16 for a 178 yard shot. Did not think 16 was 'to much' for a 42mm objective.

I have a couple 4.5-14x40 Leupold scopes and if I can't see through it it's too damn dark to be shooting.

High magnification is Wonderful on the range, but pretty much will screw ya.sooner or later in the field. A 3X9 does just fine. Crank 'er up on the range, and around 4 to 6 MAX in the field. I missed my only shot at a 'lope because I had it set too high. NEVER made that mistake again, and have never missed another shot just because I had it se at 5X. You don't have to print a bullet on game, just get in the D***n kill zone...... 1st shot would be nice.

Last edited:
I'd go with the smaller scope because it would probably balance the rifle best.

I tried a 4.5-14x40 on my .270 for a while and went back to a 3-9x40. The gun just didn't feel right with the heavier scope and, arguably, the ballistics of a 270 cannot fully utilize the larger scope.

Heck, I was looking at some mule deer yesterday with the 2.5-8 on my .308 at about 400 yards. They seemed plenty big at 8x!!! Or at least big enough to accuately hit.

A scope on a rifle is a personal thing and depends on your style of hunting and whether or not you hunt early and late, at what distances you intend on shooting, and what you intend on shooting. A 3x9 is a great start as once you get bigger the scopes get more bulky and troublesome. I leave mine on 3 for field of view and light gathering until I need more magnification.

Thanks for the opinions. I went with the tried and true VX-III in 3.5-10X40 my 4th. The other scope was the same size and only an once heavier but bottom line is, I just didn't want to mess with what I already know.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back