Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pack rifle scope

kiwi hunta

I'm going to build a pack rifle, based on a VZ33 action probably in 257 roberts, pencil barrel, lightweight stock, just for carrying on the side of my pack when I go back packing.

Once camp is set up I'll head out that last hour checking slips and clearings for a meat animal, I'm looking at 7lbs all up so need a light fixed or small varipower scope.

Looking at Leupold 4x33, 1.5-5x20, 1.75-6x32, SightronS11 Big sky 4x32, 1.5-5x20 something along those lines, don't want to spend more than $400 as it will only used about a half dozen times a year.

I know there a heap of other options what are your guys thoughts?

Jeff.

To much scope I think Point, range will be from 10 to 250 yds most of the time under 50 yds in heavy canopy at dusk with only a couple of seconds to let rip before the animal steps into cover, there will be some longer range stuff along the creek beds and on overgrown slips etc.

If you're expecting lots of shots in low light conditions I wouldn't want smaller than a 40mm objective lens. I know it's not too exciting but there are an endless number of 3-9 X 40 scopes to choose from. You're only talking a couple ounces heavier than many of the smaller options. Set it on 3 power and go, plus you can crank it up to 9 when you have one of those 250 yard shots.

If you're expecting lots of shots in low light conditions I wouldn't want smaller than a 40mm objective lens. I know it's not too exciting but there are an endless number of 3-9 X 40 scopes to choose from.

Yep I have endless number sitting around lol, including a spare 2.5-8 Zeiss but I wanted something small and neat to suit the rifle.

To much scope I think Point, range will be from 10 to 250 yds most of the time under 50 yds in heavy canopy at dusk with only a couple of seconds to let rip before the animal steps into cover, there will be some longer range stuff along the creek beds and on overgrown slips etc.

In that case, I'd got with the Leupold 4X and not look back. Now, if you really wanted to go light, the Leupold 2.5X is way light.

Why put a scope on it at all?

Decent Irons should do you right.

Pentax Compact 4-12X36. Sounds like it should fit the bill perfectly if you can find one.

I like my Leupold compact 2-7x36 or my newer 2.5-8x36 - they gather light much better than youwould expect with the smaller objective. They also make a 1.75-6x32. All come with the "extended twilight" lenses. The base model is $399.99 at SWFA.com - they may be cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:
Good thoughts thanks Cali, yep 12 ounces is tops as far as weight goes, never been a great Leupold fan, good warranty but until the latest models optics were I thought only so-so, cant find the Burris you are talking about at the places in the states that ship to OZ/NZ.
cheers.

A friend of mine just picked up one of those rangefinders and we were playing with it the other day. It works very well on a variety of targets - better than any of my other, older rangefinders from Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, etc.

I'm liking the VX11 ultralight 2-7x33 or maybe even a Bushnell, have had a great run from the elite scopes and the rain guard is a good feature in the drizzle.

Mmmm yes good point, no rush though, BC on the NZ hunting site has gone 6lb10oz with a Model 7 remmie bdc 7-08 with the vx11, I would like to at least equal that.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back