Thompson Center rifles?

Devil Diver Down

I'm looking to replace my 30.06, a pump which I still just can't get used to after shooting it off and on for almost 20 years, even though my plan is to archery hunt more than rifle hunt. I also have a 60 year old JC Higgins .270, which I do like, but I've always liked the 30.06 (caliber not my particular rifle) better. I've got a rifle elk hunt in October & I'm deciding whether to stick with the .270 or invest in another rifle. Whichever rifle I choose will probably get my Burris Fullfield scope on it.

To make a long story longer, I was checking out some low priced ($400-$600) rifles at Bass Pro the other day & they had a T/C "Venture" 30.06, which felt pretty good and I liked the action. Honestly, I didn't even know T/C made centerfires & I'm not much of a gun guru (hard to guess, huh?) but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with them, etc.

thanks in advance.

Assume they are the economy version of their Icon. Detachable mag, 60 degree bolt lift, adj trig, and match barrel....looks like a good piece for the money. IMO, they are better in hand than the Tikka.

...have an old 40+ yr old Rem 30-06 pump also..first big game rifle.

...have an old 40+ yr old Rem 30-06 pump also..first big game rifle.

How do you like it? It's probably the same model I got from my grandfather, he bought it about 44 or so years ago. I've taken some deer with it but I just don't like the pump for elk. Great for a lefty, I guess, but I shoot righty and so do my kids. I'm thinking the T/C (the price was dropped to $450) might take the pump's spot in the cabinet & that I'll have to get rid of it.

It wouldn't be my pick in that price bracket, but they are getting pretty good reviews.
If it fits you well and you like the action, go for it. Thompson's been around forever and are supposed to have a good warranty policy if anything goes wrong.

It wouldn't be my pick in that price bracket, but they are getting pretty good reviews.
If it fits you well and you like the action, go for it. Thompson's been around forever and are supposed to have a good warranty policy if anything goes wrong.

What would your pick in that price range be?

Also, someone spray for roaches...Jose is back and stalking his usuals again.

I just bought a new savage 111 with the accu stock and accu trigger.Never thought I would own a savage but I must say it is a very well built gun shoots just about every factory round I feed it 1 inch groups or better at 100 yards.

What would your pick in that price range be?

Either a Tikka T3 or a Ruger Hawkeye.

Those are just the guns I personally like though, I wouldn't care about what others like when you pick yours out. They're all going to be plenty accurate for any normal hunting, so it's really all just preference for which one you like.

Though you'd be hard pressed to get it finished for this fall, you could easily have your JC Higgins (many of which were made with desireable Mauser actions) rebarreled to 30-06 for less money than a new rifle. FWIW...

Now that's an interesting idea, 1 pointer. I may look into that. My idea initially was to increase my small arsenal, in case I can convince my sons to start hunting big game. But I do like the idea of taking a rifle I like and giving it the caliber I prefer.

Stick a 150 grain Nosler Partition in that old J.C. Higgins and you will have plenty of gun for Elk IMHO, I'm no expert, having killed exactly one Elk but I did it with a .270 and the aforementioned Nosler in a 1938 M70 Winchester. It strikes me funny that the other gun I took for back up was a J.C. Higgins in .30/06 on an FN action.

Bob

Sorry forgot the original question, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a TC, every one I have shot has been a decent shooter. The other gun I would look at in that price range is the Savage. When Remingtons quality started to backslide I switched my new gun purchases to Savage and have no regrets. The Tikka and the Ruger are both good guns also. Any reason is a good one to buy a new gun an Elk hunt is a great one!

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back