Wool Clothing

StHubert

My buddy and I are going to be back country hunting for Elk in MT in November. Does anyone here wear wool clothing or something else? What are the pros or cons of wearing the wool vs other materials.
Thank you.

Lots of elk have been killed by hunters wearing woolies. If they work for you, use them. In November, they can be hard to beat, if it is cold and you are not hiking too much.

Good luck.

If it gets cold and we get lots of snow, you will be very glad you have them........just dont stand too close to the fire when drying out:) THey smell really bad when they are on fire.....

I wear all wool under layers and socks, and used to only wear wool pants after about mid October. They're heavy, but they work.

I have worn wool though have invested in some other clothes. As Randy11 states though, I suppose under garments - can't beat the warmth.

I find One bush brushed against and presto - I have my hobby for my rest time between hunts. I find it a pain when stealthing up on game and the darn burrs act as velcro. Legs and sleeves hook... Though I suppose that is in certain areas. Friends wear it constantly and love em... Me - just irritating, the velcro action has happened at the worst of times - I just have a bad taste for it.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the Columbia Camo bibs, which are like a composite wool. Absolutely love them during late season archery elk hunting, when the snow is deep, there is nothing quieter than wool.

Although if you get into burrs like discussed above, you can get the velcro effect.

When you're in this country in the wintertime its the only way to go

Maybe some poly/wool blend underwear but the rest needs to be something that when it's snowing hard and you're going to be out all day and it gets wet will still keep you warm

It isn't unheard of that time of year to be -20 at night and -10 during the day for the whole month
I go out without tent or sleeping bag in this and have for years for 5-10 days at a pop...

Another thing, if you get stranded and have to sleep next to the fire, your high end plastic clothing will melt and become ineffective with big holes in it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back