Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sunglasses?!

I only own one pair, and those were provided by my optometrist following Lasik surgery, so I am not even sure the make or model, other than they say Ray Ban on the side, whoever the hell that is. I use them for early season, late season, and everything in between.

Not that I know a lick about sunglasses. Sorry Rudy.

sunglasses while hunting = douchebags

almost as bad as the "white sunglasses" craze with the flat brimmed hats.

:D

As far as comfort goes the Oakley M Frame Ballistic 2.0. They are light and you can get different colored lenses, these are the sun glasses that the military have been issued. I don't know what kind of work you do but they are also Z87 so they are OSHA approved so I wear mine as safety glasses as well.

"When I'm hunting the rut, shed hunting, or hunting the late season, my go to shades are the Oakley Gascan." T-Pain

02_tpain_lgl.jpg

I wear Smith's because of the exchangable lenses. Since I don't make as much $$ as TV show hosts ;) I can't afford Lasik so still have to wear contacts. Wearing sunglasses is not an option, IMO for contact wearings in the dust/wind/sun. So, I guess I should change my sign in name to Summer's Eve... :D

When buying sunglasses consider this.
Most of the trendy, cool sunglasses are made by companies that just make sunglasses.
Ray Bans are made by Bausch & Lomb, who also make prescription lens, optical surgery equipment, laser beams and high altitude bomb sights for the military.
Who do you think has the technical expertise to make goods ones ?

I wear Oakleys everywhere...almost anytime I'm outside. They're great protection for your eyes both from light and foreign objects. Real comfortable too. I have both Mframes and Half jackets I got off the government site- much cheaper.

If I'm going to be glassing (binocs or spotter) they're a hassle to keep taking on and off as they sit too far off my face. For that kind of scouting/hunting, I use traditional pilots glasses(Ray ban Aviator clones) that can be worn throughout.

Sunglasses are for the weak. ..hahaha. I make sure the sun in behind me if I can.

The reason that I have posted this question, is when you get to higher elevations it's nice to give the eyese a rest, especially while glassing mid day. The other scenario is in the snow, snow blindness can wreak havoc on my eyes as it did this past winter.

I'm not looking for "blink" just comfort and functionality. If I can find that, I may try shooting with them, just in case! ;)

I usually keep a pair of polarized Bolle's on hand. About 40 bucks at Big 5 Sporting Goods here. Clear, light, & no biggie if I lose or break em.

Bolle's, Ray Bans, Smith's, Hobies and quite a few other companies make great glasses for hunting and other uses. Out here in Wyoming they make as much sense as does wide brimmed hats and for the same reason, the Sun! We lvie at 7000 ft and hunt between here and 10K and the sun is intense. Couple that with glassing, looking at long distances and what sunglass tints and color can do for contrast and picking out objects and wearing them makes sense. My go to glasses are both action Optics as well as a pair of Hobies.. All are polarized and the two AOs are brown and grey/green and the Hobies are light yellow which are superb in low light hours for picking up deer and other critters that melt into the shrubbery. Of course when working close in, stalking, still hunting and tracking the glasses go off. Beware of wearing glasses without a substantial brim as they'll glare as much as binos if you are not careful about sun angle and where you are glassing. The biggest no-no is wearing them on top of your hat or hair, when not on your face, as you walk, as the glint and glare will have everything in sight spooked!

Ray Bans, or Hobie's with polarized lenses while fishing...

I have enough trouble with regular glasses for seeing while hunting. I've got to try contacts.

Call me a D-bag... I always have sunglasses with me. I got snow blinded one time, the 3 days following were very, very painful. Headaches, eye strain, burning eyes... not fun.

Mine are perscription lenses though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back