Caribou Gear

Which Stock?

mohunter

Just picked up my new remington sps stainless in 257roy. I am wanting to replace the stock and have been looking at a few options. Basically i have looked at mcmillan, B&C, high tech, and also know someone that can build a high quallity laminate. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience with any of them.

I like the McMillan on my 700. They have about the most options (and that includes colors) of about any maker for Remington. Here's mine:
223Ackley.jpg

That said, the laminate I have my Ruger's never not worked, just heavier, but I think laminates look great on stainless rifles.

1stBuckPronghornWY439-16-07thePipel.jpg

Love the hat in the pic. I am originally from MO. Yeah i love the mcmillan and will probably go that route but i know a guy that used to teach the stock building at the gunsmith school in Denver and would build a stock for me pretty cheap. Not huge on laminates but the price is right. Decisions, Decisions.

One of the first things I'd like to do when upgrading my gear, is to pull the laminate off ol' reliable and throw a McMillan on it.

I'm in the McM crowd as well, but you will never regret having a nice custom hand oiled walnut handle built by someone thats good at it.

Love the hat in the pic. I am originally from MO.
Thanks! I grew up in SW Indiana so it was easy to become a Cardinals fan. That hat took a ride a few years back and is now somewhere within the depths of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho. Not too worry, I've found a replacement... ;)

McMillan's are great, no doubt, but how about an HS or if you wanted to save lots of $$$, have a good rifle builder epoxy bed your action in the current stock. It won't look as cool, but the same basic function gets accomplished. If you decide to go with a laminate, I would definitely have the action epoxy bedded.

I have an HS Precision with the aluminum bedding block on a Rem 700, and it is a good stock, but it still seems heavy to me. It's a .300 Wthby, so that is not a bad thing when shooting off a bench or a stand.

A really nice stock is the Serengeti stockworks laminated stock I have for my .358 Win. It is just 3 or 5 layers of laminated walnut with really nice wood! It combines the beauty of good walnut with the stability of a laminated stock. You only see the laminated lines from the top or bottom.

3 or 5 layers of laminated walnut with really nice wood!

I saw one of these stocks on a custom at SCI Dallas...very nice indeed. I prefer the feel and aesthetics of walnut but still tote the tupperware to the woods most of the time.

I would imagine either an HS or BC properly bedded would be just as functional as a McM.

Plus you have $300 left over for tags, etc.

A stock would have to really do something amazing to be worth $500 to me.

I'll probably get hate mail from all the Mickey fans out there....

Just something to think about..........

I have an HS on one rifle, and it is nice, but heavy. I have B&C on a couple of rifles and they are okay. I had a McMillan standard on a Wthby MKV, and it didn't seem any better than the others. I do like the light weight of the McMillan Edge, though, on a rifle I'll be carrying a lot. I've got the Edge stocks on 2 rifles. I bought them both on sale at the 24-hour Campfire, so i didn't pay $500 for them. (about $350 IIRC.)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back