Caribou Gear Tarp

New toy - Kimber 84M .308 Win

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have received my new toy to take to Alaska on the black bear trip.

Weighing in at a mere 5 lbs. 6 oz. it seems best to put a great, but lighter scope. So I am going with a Leupold 2.5-8X36mm. These two seem like a great compliment that should get the job done, if I can do my job.

Need to get these pieces put together and start shooting. The big trip begins May 2nd, so that is less than two weeks. Pretty tight schedule to get everything tuned in.

I am going to be shooting Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip bullets. Have had good luck with Trophy Bonds in the past and hope the rifle likes them. Thought about 165 grain, but thought for bears, I would try the larger bullets. When we are filming we try to keep the shots under 200 yards, so it doesn't seem that laser trajectory is necessary.

I hope this combo works good, as I could see myself begging for a 7MM-.08 with this same set up. And if all goes well there, I am thinking an 84L Classic in a .270 Win would be really nice. As would an 8400 in a .300 Win Mag. As would a ..................

IMG_5030.jpg

Here are some links for each of these fine toys.

Kimber 84M .308

Leupold VX-3 2.5-8X36mm

Federal 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip - .308

Nice looking gun. Too bad you didn't get it in a better caliber.....say, something like a 7wsm.;):D

Hope you don't have the misfire and feeding problems I had with mine. I'd strongly suggest checking firing pin protrusion and feeding from the magazine before you even think of taking it on a trip. On the bright side, if you get a good one with no problems they are a pretty sweet setup!

Nice looking gun. Too bad you didn't get it in a better caliber.....say, something like a 7wsm.;):D

I tried to convince them to make some of the other calibers for this model, but for some reason, a person such as myself carries too little clout. :eek:

A long-time Kimber disciple such as you would probably fair better in trying to get them to expand their horizons with more chamberings of this light weight Model 84M. :D

Saaweeet!! Great rifle.

You know, if you like the 165s, that is more than enough bullet for black bear. Blackies die easy.

Fin, I love the rifle, and the caliber. I killed many a big game animal with the lowly .308 Win. Actually my biggest bull was taken using this little power house of cartridge. I just shot 150 grainers out of mine. Keep your shots inside 400 and their dead. Really a nice rifle.

I kind of hate you right now. I've been eyeing that exact combo for a couple years and just haven't had things line up quite right to pull the trigger. Good luck with the new set up.

Nice set up Fin, good looking and light...you'll need to keep the magazine full to stop it from floating away.

It doesn't look like anything special.;) Tell you what I'll take it off your hands and wont charge you anything for it's disposal.:D
Very nice setup. I'm jealous.

Gorgeous little rifle.
I think every Kimber that's sat in a gun shop in Western MT, over the last five years, likely has traces of my drool on it. That action is really something special.

Looks like a nice gun fin youll have to give us a review. Ive never messed with the kimbers. 308s not my preferred caliber but it should get the job done. IF they made it in a 260, I would be very interested. Good luck and shoot straight.

If she groups like a dream by all means slay a bear with it. But isn't 200 yards and closer iron sight material?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back