Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

7MM - Pics of what you have shot with it

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
With all the talk about cartridges and what works, what doesn't work, what critters you shoot with it, etc. I thought we would start some threads that are more visual. In addition to talking about the cartridges, post a pic(s) showing your "handywork" with the cartridge.

Been lots of 7MM talk lately, so I guees we can start with that one. Since I don't own a 7MM, I guess I will just have to watch.

Feel free to start other threads with your favorite cartridge.

Post your pics, and if you can recall, the bullet, load, and distance of the shot. Should answer some questions guys might have.....and probably produce a few new questions.

Post 'em if you got 'em.

I guess I'll start...

I shoot a rem. model 700 bdl...62 grains IMR4831 and 160 grain partitions, WW cases, and cci 250 mag. primers.

First elk I shot with a 7mm in 2004:

buzzmtelk04.jpg

Shot was about 80 yards, hit him behind the shoulder twice about 2 inches apart. Went maybe 50 yards and that was it.

The best elk I shot with a 7mm in Arizona in 2008:

AZ_Elk%20064.jpg

The shot was around 80-90 yards quartering away hit him between the last two ribs on the entrance side and the bullet didnt exit. I didnt look for the bullet but I assume it stopped in the brisket area. Elk went about 10 yards and rolled down the hill.

The next picture is of a mule deer buck I killed several years ago. Shot was 262 yards quartering away. I was suprised at the time that nobody noticed something odd about the picture. If you look closely, you can see a dark round area in the side of the neck...that would be where I found the 160 grain nosler that stopped just shy of breaking the skin. The buck folded at the shot.

IMG_1461.JPG

Two longest shots on animals I've made with a 7mm. This mule deer buck from MT this year, 475 yards. This is a view of the exit, the deer went 40 yards or so and that was that.

IMG_3261.JPG

A few years ago in MT, the last year you could shoot spike bulls in the area I hunt. This one was shot slightly quartering away at 452 yards. The bullet missed the ribs on the entrance side and exited just behind the off shoulder after breaking one rib. The bull ran maybe 50 yards and done.

324.JPG

This years Montana bull. Shot at 120 yards. I missed the first shot and he was high-tailing it out of the country. I shot him quartering away, hit a pinch high and broke his back just in front of the hips. The bullet didnt exit and I didnt find it, although I looked. I think it was buried in the spine somewhere.

IMG_3288.JPG

Thats enough for now, but I have a bunch more.

Didn't take long for someone to disprove the myth over on some of the other websites that the 7mm is not capable of anything other than gophers. Leave it to Buzz to punch a hole in the theory.

Great stuff Buzz, even if you BS us by saying it has taken you a while to warm up to the cartridge.

Whoever is arguing that a 7mm Magnum is not enough gun must be very inexperienced.

I have a 7mm Magnum that spends most of the time in the safe as I believe it is too much gun for most critters I shoot. Great for elk sized game though.

Hey All,

I don't get around here much to post, but thot I would try and show a bit of the variety the 7mm is capable of. A long time ago, I got some good advice from a guy who has 7/8 of the sheep needed for 2 Slams, along with a few other animals in The Book. He sold me on the virtues of the 7mm, said it was the single gun for everything from Antelope to Alaskan Moose. And he was absolutely right.

My original plan with the 7mm was to start with 140 grain Nosler Solid Base for Deer/Antelope and then switch to 160 grain Nosler Partitions for Elk each year. That worked for about a year before Solid Base got hard to find, so the Ballistic Tips were used as a replacement. But, I always noticed that the Remington 700 seemed to like the Partitions, so, in an effort to simplify things, the 160 grain Nosler Partition on 62.5grains of H4831 became the load (on Fed Magnum Primers). I did try the 160g Accu-Bonds, but could never get them to shoot better than the Partitions.

On the smaller animal side:

A prairie goat from Western Wyoming that was about 300 yards, single shot. Likely 5000 ft elevation and 60 degrees.

Clearwater River WhiteTail at 250 yards, single shot. 6000 ft elevation, mid-20's.

Salmon River Mule Deer at 300 yards, single shot, 7000 ft elevation, mid-40's.

Nushagek River Bou, sea level, low 30's in temp.

Another Bristol Bay Bou, sea level, low teens...

Central Idaho elk, 8000', mid-20's, 450+ yards after laying for 3 hours for him to stand up.

For a bigger body, a So Africa Gemsbok at about 250 yards, mid 50's temp. For the 7mm to work correctly in the Southern Hemisphere, you have to load the bullets backwards in order to get the counter-clockwise rotation needed to stablize them. It takes a bit of work to get it correct, but after that, it works fine in areas where the Southern Cross guides you.

And, just for fun, the 7mm is effective in making round holes in striped patterns.....

Attachments

• 2010-04-10 Alope.jpg
    2010-04-10 Alope.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,434
  • 2010-04-10 Stripes.jpg
    2010-04-10 Stripes.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,436
  • 2010-04-10 Gems.jpg
    2010-04-10 Gems.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,421
  • 2010-04-10 Elk.jpg
    2010-04-10 Elk.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2,417
  • 2010-04-10 Bou2.jpg
    2010-04-10 Bou2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2,402
  • 2010-04-10 Bou1.jpg
    2010-04-10 Bou1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 2,429
  • 2010-04-10 Mule.jpg
    2010-04-10 Mule.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,441
  • 2010-04-10 Whitey.jpg
    2010-04-10 Whitey.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,448
The gun's a Ruger MKII, 24" barrel. I shoot the 160 Accubonds right at 3000 fps.

150 yards. Quartering away as the bear angled upwards across a face in front of me. Bullet entered on side ribs, and entered offside shoulder. No exit. Bear dropped 30 yards off of hillside into creek bottom, where he died.
picture.php

120 yards broadside, in and out ribs on both sides, ran 30 yards before tumbling.
picture.php

250 yards broadside, in and out ribs on both sides, ran 80 yards before nosediving.
picture.php

This buck was killed with 175 grain corelokts out of the same gun.
First hit at 300 yards in front of shoulder, tracked down and finished off at 80 yards through the neck.
picture.php

80 yards quartering to. Hit high on the shoulder, dropping him in his tracks. Needed finished off.
picture.php

Quartering away at 40 yards. Bullet entered ribs and exited out chest. Ran 80 yards before dying.
picture.php

30 yards standing up eating berries. Shot him in the neck, he tumbled through some bushes and died maybe ten yards from where he was shot.
picture.php

These are just a few that I have pictures with handy, and is probably half of the game that I've killed with this gun and combo. I also hunt with others that have killed a ton of crap, that use the 7mag exclusively.

huh, I use a win model 70 (push feed) in 7x57, does that count as a 7mm? only picture I can find is this years,102 yards shot at about 6200 feet at 28 degrees, 139 grain hornady btsp 50 gr imr 4350 at about 2700 fps. one shot in front of the shoulder, one broken rib on the far side, no meat damage and the deer stood there for about 3 seconds before he fell over. Seemed like the right medicine in that situation. Sorry about the cell phone picture, I had to get him cleaned to get him moved.

Attachments

• cell phone 004.jpg
    cell phone 004.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2,386
Last edited:
The 7 works alright on whitetails...a few I've shot the last several years:

I shot this buck...which was a stupid move. It was THE best hunting day of the year in 2005. I'd seen 9 deer up to the point I shot this one...all bucks and all 4x4 or better. This was deer number 10, I jumped him close and made a bad decision to shoot as he was trotting away. I thought he was much bigger, the width gobbled me. Young buck with good potential...and I blew it.

Hit him quartering away and he made it about 10 yards and folded up:

IMG_0840_6_1.JPG

This buck was one I really had to talk myself into shooting as well. I'd seen 20 bucks before this one, a majority were 4x4's and better. I passed a real nice 5x4 that looking back, I probably should have killed. About an hour before I shot this deer I also saw 3 mountain lions. I was having fun and this deer just hung around too long. I liked the shape of the rack and the long tines...so after a chip shot at 165 yards, my MT deer season was over, he dropped right on the spot, hit him in the high shoulder/spine area:

IMG_1555.JPG

Took these two deer about 6 days apart in 2008. The Wyoming whitetail I shot on my way to Montana. I studied some maps before I left and decided to look over a few sections of state land on my way North. The first spot I checked I found this buck and figured good enough. The shot was a pinch over 300 and I hit him right through the on shoulder and the bullet exited about 2 inches behind the off shoulder. He didnt make it but a few steps.

IMG_2731.JPG

Several days later this buck chased a doe past me at about 30 yards. He was right on her tail and stopped at about 40-50 yards...too good to pass. He ran about 40 yards and piled up in some scoulers willow.

IMG_2796.JPG

I've also taken both my coues deer in AZ with a 7mm. First one was shot at 430 yards. I missed this buck twice...right over him the first time, just under the second. The third shot was right in the shoulder. He ran about 10 yards and that was it.

IMG_0893.JPG

Last years coues buck, 314 yards tight behind shoulder. He took a few steps downhill and done. Man, I hope I draw another tag this year.

IMG_3347.JPG

I'll add to the "7mm but not a 7-mag" discussion.

I shoot a .280AI, the more efficient little brother to the 7-mag IMO.
RL-22 and 168gr Bergers, Fed. 215M primers, Nosler brass, @ 3000 fps.

I've had the rifle for 2 full hunting seasons now, and have killed 2 antelope, 5 deer, and 3 elk with it. All high front shoulder or just behind, anywhere to under 50 yards to 500 yards. Very impressed with the performance and killing power on all of these shots. I'll try to post some pics. later.

I have been a 270 guy all my life until this past year. Last year I shot my first and only animal with a 7mm. Looking forward to using it again.

Attachments

• SDC10782.jpg
    SDC10782.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,320
Back