7mm Rem Mag vs. 300 Ultra Mag

deerhunterMO

I am in between buying either a 7mm Rem Mag or a 300 Ultra Mag. Any thoughts on which one and why? I will be hunting deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.

Thanks

No experience with the 300 Ultra Mag., but my 7mm has been devestatingly effective on everything from antelope to elk and caribou. It shoots flat, hits very hard and recoil is very negligible in my opinion. I shot a mature bull elk in NM last year at roughly 350 yards and he went to the ground like a piano dropped on him. Very impressive performance.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Those are 2 pretty different cartridges you are comparing. Unless you are talking about the 7mm Ultra Mag?

Personally I would go with the 7, because I don't like to get the snot knocked out of me at the range, and it will kill anything you are talking about just as well as the .300. The 7 Rem Mag is one of the most efficient cartridges you will find IMO.

The 7 mag shoots higher BC bullets, burns way less powder, has cheaper reloading components, is usually built on a smaller rifle, has pretty tame recoil, and is still plenty powerful enough to kill elk at 500-600 yards.

The only way I could really see going with the 300 RUM is if you're just into tinkering with something different, or if you were going to build a custom rifle like Greenhorns, and are into shooting at ridiculous ranges. The factory RUMs I've played with have all been bulky, awkward, sloppy rifles.

I shoot a really accurate 7rm and absolutely love it. I'm sure I'll buy more hunting rifles, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm covered for a long range big game rifle.

FWIW- A good friend of mine is into shooting at really long ranges. He's always shot a 7mag. I couple years ago he bought a 300 rum and after messing around with it for a couple years, he decided the gained ballistics just weren't worth it. He sold it and went back to the 7. This year he killed his whitetail at 550 yards with the 7.

I have a wide variety of calibers in the safe...the 7mmMag has killed way more animals than the rest combined....from bear, elk, croc and eland to prairie dawgs....I believe in it, I trust it....

Between those two, I'd pick the 7 Mag....even better, go with a 300 Win Mag...a great compromise IMO.

I think what you need to do is consider more than just what animals you'll be hunting but what animals you'll be hunting the most.

If it were me, I'd lean toward a more garden variety 300...the 300 winchester or one of the clones of the winchester. I dont think you gain enough performance wise to justify a 300 UM, but thats just me. I would only consider that route if I were planning on mainly having the rifle for the heavier end of the game you mentioned...mainly elk. I'd also shoot the heavier 30 cal. bullets, the 200 grain nosler partition is well suited for the 30 magnums, I'm no fan of bullets lighter than 180's in a 30. Again, my opinion.

If I were planning on using the rifle more for deer/antelope with an elk or bear every now and then...and this is painful for me to say...you have no idea how painful...I'd go with the 7mm RM.

I'm slowly warming to the 7mm after years of bashing it. I still think the cartridge is way over-rated, way over-hyped, but theres also no denying that it flat performs way better than it has a right to. I've used one, a plain jane rem. 700 bdl, for about the last 5-6 years on just about everything. I wouldnt use it as a primary elk rifle, just not enough bullet weight IMO...I'd rather shoot a 300 or even better a 338 for an elk rifle.

But, that said, it do kill elk...I've proved that 9 times since 2004. Its an absolutely great deer and antelope round, and more suited for them than elk.

I've not had any problem with load development either with the 7mm, seems you can throw about anything in the case and it performs. Last year with the crunch on powder I ran out of IMR 4831 and had to switch to H4831. I wasnt sure how it would effect accuracy...didnt shoot quite as well as the IMR, but I limped through it and got by:

IMG_2931.JPG

As I see it, the .300 Ultras primary advantage is for long range, 500 yard+ hunting.
Unless that's something you plan on getting serious about, I'd stick with the 7mm, or a .300 win or short mag.

I also have a 7mm, great gun. I am not sold on the benefits of the 300 um. Since 2000 all I have shot for everything is a 300 Win mag. I can always find the ammo without the Ultra screwing when you do find the Ultra ammo. John

I pretty much agree with Buzz. But if you're leaning towards the 7mm, give One Man's Wilderness by Warren Page a read. He tipped over a whole lot of big game, included brown bears, with a 7mm. Either way, the book is a great read.

OK, it is the off season, so to keep our sanity, I am thinking we start a new thread about the critters we killed with a certain cartridge. Since the cartridge this week seems to be the 7MM (one missing from my vault), I have started this thread, where guys will post what they have killed with their 7MM.

Here is a link to the thread.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=242699

Thanks to everyone's posts, I really appreciate it. I think that I will will go with a Remington 700 CDL, stainless fluted barrel in the 7mm Rem Mag.

Good decision to go with the 7mm...you can get a lot more junior bacon cheeseburgers with the money you save per round.

Like Buzz says, (sarcastic or not?) I have just never been thrilled by the 7mm Rem Mag. I have shot most of my stuff with a .300 Win mag and it has never failed me. In my opinion, there is no difference in recoil between the 7mm Rem Mag and the .300 Win Mag. I also have a .300 Wthby in a Rem 700, but I don't think it provides much real advantage over the Win version.

Last edited:
Back