Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

NHRA winternationals

BuzzH

Since we caught a break on the javelinas, my buddy Monty invited Ron and I to go to the drag races with him and another of his friends.

I'm really not much of a gearhead, but these cars have changed a lot in the last 20 years of so. I went to some races in the 1980's but just recently I've went twice with Monty while I've been in AZ.

Wow, those top fuel dragsters and funny cars are wicked...very scarey machines...amazing how much horsepower.

A few pics from the event, which was weather delayed a few times and the finals werent ran until Monday.

Where the big-boys set up shop:

IMG_3496.JPG

My buddy Ron right after he witnessed the first car starting up in the pits...gotta like that nitro fuel:

IMG_3443.JPG

A few familiar faces to racing.

Ashley Force:

IMG_3437.JPG

John Force, who's hot rod ran frickin' awesome the whole time:

IMG_3495.JPG

A few of the cars:

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3490_1.JPG

The first round wreck of Antron Browns car that killed the spectator when a rear wheel blew off the car...tough to imagine anything breaking when 8,000 Horsepower is applied to it: :rolleyes:

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3478.JPG

Last, Doug Kalittas semi-final race about 1/3rd of the way down the track...those cars are fire-breathing monsters...:

IMG_3498.JPG

Sorry for the spectator that got killed, bummer to be watching something you enjoy and lose your life over it. Those cars truly are something to watch. Great pics.

I might be ok with dying while actually doing something, but I am not up for dying while watching something. I'll rely on Buzz's pictures and skip it.

The seats those guys have are at the very top of the bleachers...by design.

The news said thats the first spectator death since the mid-70's...it was a fluke deal. The tire tore off and then hit the front of the car jacking it way up in the air. I didnt continue to watch the tire when it tore off, I was watching the car and driver riding on the top of the concrete retaining wall....

For the record, you couldnt get me to ride in one of those things...no way.

Saw replays of the accident. The timing has to be just right for the tire to hit the car before going in the stands. Half a second one way or the other and it might not of happened, or it could have been worse who knows. When it is your time to go, it is your time to go.

Glad to see old man Force running good again. He has been off for a few years now.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back