Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Favre....another year opine

noharleyyet

Favre might as well try to finish the job

Mark Kriegel is the national columnist for FOXSports.com. He is the author of two New York Times best sellers, Namath: A Biography and Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich, which Sports Illustrated called "the best sports biography of the year."

The hour is late. My companions and I are weary and hungry enough to gladly settle for barstools at the Indianapolis Marriott. Having just filed our stories from Lucas Oil Stadium, no one really wants to talk, much less talk about football.

Then he appears on the TV screen mounted above the high end spirits. At this point, everybody I know feels intimately acquainted with Brett Favre. We see him live in these post-game press conferences more than we see members of our own family.

I try not to use the pronouns "we" or "us." More often than not, they're used in a shameful sportswriter's trick, an appeal to common sympathies that do not exist. The writer's interests and those of the fan rarely coincide. In Favre's case, however, I'm willing to make an exception. After all, that is his great, if unintended, genius: the ability to make everybody care, to believe we each have a personal stake in him.

And perhaps never more than in Sunday's postgame presser. The sound was off, but the image was all you needed. Again, it's dreadfully familiar: the gray stubble, those earnest (if occasionally calculated) expressions, an assortment of dramatic pauses and artful self-deprecations. But this was something different. I've seen this look before, but mostly backstage in Vegas. After a good fight, even champions look like club fighters.

His face was red with streaks and blotches. It didn't take much to imagine where the purplish marks and welts would settle. The inflictors of this fresh torment, the New Orleans Saints, were going to the Super Bowl, while Favre was going home to Mississippi, once again, to contemplate a retirement that, from the early forecasts, seems likely.

For what it's worth, I've been ripping him for a couple years now. I stand by most of what I wrote. The Packers deserved better. The Jets -- who turned out to be better off with the rookie Mark Sanchez -- deserved better. Favre wasn't honest with his fans, his employers, or maybe even himself.

That said, I'd like to see him come back for another season with the Vikings. First of all, for all the self-righteous sanctimony (mine and others), I have to admit that football is more interesting with Favre in uniform. Second, his predicament here is markedly different than it's been the last couple of years. Being under contract to the Vikings, he doesn't have to weasel out of anything. Finally, this story is in desperate need of a better ending.

For the second time in three years, Favre's season ends with him throwing an interception in the NFC championship game. This one was even worse than the one he threw against the Giants, as he threw it across his body, across the field, and squandered what should have been a game-winning drive.

Given Favre's hubris, one is tempted to consider the ball he threw into the waiting arms of Saints cornerback Tracy Porter a form of poetic justice. It may be that. Then again, the only known antidote for hubris is persistence. Let me be as presumptuous as possible: at this point, the best Favre can do -- for himself and for us -- is to keep going until he can't go anymore.

He's beat up. And sure, it's a lousy time to make a decision. Still, it shouldn't be as difficult a decision as it was a year ago. He's has an offensive scheme and personnel that give him a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl, which, after all, is all he claims to have wanted. Unlike last year, he doesn't require surgery. He doesn't have to weasel out of a contract. He knows he can play; he'd be returning from what was, statistically, the finest season of his career -- 33 touchdowns against just 7 interceptions.

The guy who threw away the NFC championship on Sunday (and don't forget, with two Adrian Peterson fumbles, he had more than a little help) also threw four touchdowns against Dallas just nine days ago.

Was he contemplating retirement then?

At 41, next season might end with another interception. Might be worse than the one against Saints.

But as any club fighter could tell you, the measure of a man is his willingness to risk humiliation.

Besides, it beats sitting at a barstool, waiting for last call.

Now, but can your really believe it. I know, he never changes his mind right?

i dont think favre cost them that game. there were 2 turnovers in the red zone, both fumbles. also, the 12 men in the huddle was the real cost. they were already in field goal range. they wouldve handed off, got a couple yeards, and kicked the ball and went to miami. however, when they got the 12 men penalty, that backed them up out of field goal range and then they had to throw it to get back. so, in my opinion, favre didnt cost them that game

i dont think favre cost them that game. there were 2 turnovers in the red zone, both fumbles. also, the 12 men in the huddle was the real cost. they were already in field goal range. they wouldve handed off, got a couple yeards, and kicked the ball and went to miami. however, when they got the 12 men penalty, that backed them up out of field goal range and then they had to throw it to get back. so, in my opinion, favre didnt cost them that game

Man, I don't know about that...I don't disagree with some garbled calls and stupid penalties, etc. but Favre had an open field on that play...all he had to do was run and slide for 5, maybe 7 yards and they were golden. Instead he threw across his body like a retard. Can that be any more of a rookie move for a vet?

Watching him lead his teams the last few years is like watching a trainwreck. Thanks for the memories Brett but it is time.

Him and Warner should retire for good... its a young mans game

I'm sure there are many young corners, linebackers, and safeties who would be happy to see them gone. Truth is, they both put numbers on the board and butts in the bleachers.;)

As a Vikings fan, I hope he comes back. Why? Because we have everyone coming back with only Chester Taylor as a FA and Phat Pat Williams 50-50 on retiring. If #4 comes back, Phat Pat will too. When you have a team that only needs a QB, you can't rely on rookie and other than McNabb, who else is out there for legit veterans? The window to win a SB is only a couple years in the NFL (unless you have Peyton Manning), you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
Hey cjcj,

If its a young mans game...why are the older QB's making it to the playoffs while the young QB's are watching the games on TV?

Young guys (save for Aaron Rodgers) can't "read" defenses like the older guys. Their arms might be better/stronger (save for Favre) but experience at the QB position matters in the NFL. The old guys still make mistakes (see Favre & Warner) but less often than the young guys.

I'd milk it too...12 million or more reasons to ponder

Brett Favre hinted he'll decide about next season sooner rather than later, though with him that's famously been subject to change.

Even if the Minnesota Vikings must switch quarterbacks again, though, they're willing to wait for Favre's word.

Coach Brad Childress said Tuesday he doesn't have a deadline for Favre's decision, insisting the team can plan for both possibilities despite an obvious preference for early resolution.

"State of flux is generally not good. It's usually uncomfortable, but sometimes it pushes you to create as well,'' Childress said.

Childress spoke in the morning with the 40-year-old quarterback in the training room, where Favre was getting treatment on the left ankle he sprained during a hard hit in Minnesota's loss in the NFC championship game at New Orleans.

"Pretty beat up after that game,'' Childress said. "We didn't really have any meaningful conversation about what's next.''

Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels were supposed to compete for the spot, until Favre came after training camp in mid-August and set the scene for the storybook season for him and the Vikings that ended painfully short of the Super Bowl.

The Vikings won't pick until 30th in the first round of the draft, so it will again be difficult to find viable alternatives outside the organization.

"We'll just see what's there, and I'm sure we'll ably man that position one way or the other,'' Childress said.

Rosenfels is still under contract, and Jackson will be a restricted free agent if there's no new collective bargaining agreement between the league and the union as expected. Assuming that happens, there won't be a salary cap, either.

"Really, I think our numbers will be just fine if he comes back or he doesn't come back,'' Childress said. "I don't know. It's up to him, but it's not a deal where I need to put a gun at his head and say, 'I need to know in a week, two weeks, two months.'''

As they cleaned out their cubicles in the locker room on Monday, the consensus from players was that Favre can take his time too.

"He's had his share of training camps,'' defensive tackle Kevin Williams said, asked whether he would care if Favre were to skip the two-a-day grind again. "He still came out and had a great year, and it wasn't even a factor. So it really won't matter at all to me.''

Childress said he wouldn't be surprised by Favre's decision either way, whether retirement or a return for a 20th NFL season.

"He's earned his time to be able to step away from it and talk to his family and figure out what he wants to do,'' the coach said. "You have to heal mentally and you have to heal physically. That's a process for all of us, stepping away from it.''

Childress also took responsibility for the costly too-many-men-in-the-huddle penalty following a timeout that preceded Favre's interception in the fourth quarter against the Saints, with the Vikings driving for the go-ahead field goal. Fullback Naufahu Tahi was the extra player, originally told he'd be in. The coaches were considering two different formations, but the final decision to go with a three-wide set didn't reach Tahi.

"It's an error in communication, and it all comes back to me not having it over communicated,'' Childress said.
FOX SPORTS POLL Will Brett Favre play in the 2010 season? Yes No Depends on what Vikes do in offseason
Once a psychology major, Childress has been using that degree this week to try to lift sagging spirits, following Sunday's loss to the Saints that ranks near or at the top of the list of this franchise's storied history of devastating defeats.

"It's a bitter pill to swallow,'' Childress said. "I don't know that it completely goes away right away. As the leader of this football team, it's important from my standpoint to point out to our guys all the positive things that we accomplished this year.''

Brett got beat to a pulp in that last game. Did you see his wife's facial expressions on the side lines? Can still do it; but he should retire. His body will hurt for months.

The blueprint was laid out how to defend him in that game. Saints actually said that they didn't mind the late hit calls cause it was part of the plan. THAT sucks. Play the game within the rules and throw players out of the game for obvious late hits!

I'm sure there are many young corners, linebackers, and safeties who would be happy to see them gone. Truth is, they both put numbers on the board and butts in the bleachers.;)

True, but they could end up crippled....That hit on Warner was "Nasty":hump:

Last edited:
Hey cjcj,

If its a young mans game...why are the older QB's making it to the playoffs while the young QB's are watching the games on TV?

Well the truth is these older QB's are smarter and are great at reading Defenses... They have seen it all....So mentaly they are "older but wiser"[ remember that thread?]:D

But from a physical perspective....they should retire:hump:... just think of all the time they have left in their lives......Your pt. is well taken.....But concussions are a serious matter...joints/.knee's can be replaced...... but brains can't....Remember Ali?... he still thinks he's Cassious Clay

i still say brett is the man. no other qb has ever played harder. every down, every game, its all heart. he will always be the gunslinger, but he is fun to watch. who could ever forget the infamous monday night game in oakland the night after he lost his father? amazing

I say he should play if he wants to. Some people cant sit at home at watch.

for all the blather about him, time to call it. why screw yourself up for the rest of your life by getting hurt? go home, entertain them cajuns. not like he is/was as great as jordan.:D

not the first time he has lost/cost his team a game by doing that exact same thing. as they say, its his "gunslinger" mentality. also, maybe a little ego trip? could have ran the ball, slid, and kicked the field goal. he cost them the game at that point. the other things, just helped it along.:D

Favre retires!

This just in, 9:56, Jan 29, 2010 Favre announces his retirement.

Guess what guys, with 10 pro Bowlers on your team, there are plenty of QB's who can take you there. Brett had a great year, but so would a lot of guys when you are that stacked with players.

And Bobby Dean, why is everyone crying over late hits by the Saints? Did you forget about Jared Allen's 14.5 sacks? He wasn't exactly gentle. Here's a tip. Google "Jared Allen, late hit". You will see names like Matt Schaub and Aaron Rodgers come up on the first page. The Vikings would not have gotten to the NFC Championship game without trying to hit QB's as hard as they could, sometimes late.

The Saints hit hard but not late.

THIS JUST IN 10:04: Favre changed his mind. Stay tuned all summer for his hourly mood swings, unless you have a life.

Last edited:
THIS JUST IN 10:04: Favre changed his mind. Stay tuned all summer for his hourly mood swings, unless you have a life.

:D:D:D:D

Agreed on the go after the QB stuff, pro "sports" have been pussified enough...too bad Childress didn't try to run the score up.

Karma?....just sayin'.

The Saints hit hard but not late.

I won't blame the officiating for the loss but I beg to differ with the above statement, as would Mike Pereira

"Appearing Wednesday night on both the NFL Network and NFL.com, vice president of officiating Mike Pereira admitted there should have been a 15-yard penalty on the third-quarter play where Vikings quarterback Brett Favre suffered a left ankle injury. We questioned the no-call on Monday, and Pereira said: “We just missed it.”

On the play, Saints defensive end Bobby McCray hit Favre in what Pereira called “pretty much a direct shot into the back of the legs.” That contact violated an NFL rule prohibiting low hits on quarterbacks.

“It’s the type of hit that we don’t want,” Pereira said, “… because clearly we’re trying to protect the knees and we need to focus on this to make sure we don’t miss [them].”

Had the penalty been called, Jonathan Vilma's interception would have been nullified and the Vikings would have re-gained possession with a first down at the Saints’ 19-yard line."

A late hit penalty a few plays earlier and then the missed one and I'd say yes the Aints hit hard and late.

Go Colts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back