Caribou Gear

Duck Recipe

Nemont

This requires duck breasts with the skin on.

4 skin on duck breasts
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper chopped
one clove garlic crushed
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 to one cup of merlot
2 tablespoons butter

Heat frying pan to HOT. Make sure duck skin is dry. Once the pan is hot put the duck breast skin side down for 1 min. The turn breast over and cook for 3 minutes more and remove from the pan and cover with a piece of tinfoil

Deglaze the pan with the red wine, the put in all the remain ingredients except the butter. Turn down the heat to medium and cook for ten minutes or until onions are soft. Put butter into pan and let melt then Place the breast skin side up back in the pan on top the sauce for 5 more minutes. The take the breast off and plate them and pour all the contents of the pan on top of the breasts.

The meat is a perfect med. rare, tender and the sauce is really really good. We ate these for dinner the other night and they were a big hit.

Nemont

Last edited:
Ditto shoots-straight's sentiment - I have not gone duck huntinig in a while - often though a couple friends pass duck breasts my way... Unfortunately, they are typically w/o skin due to the method - stand on wings and pull action... I'll have to see if I can get a couple w/ skin and dicker with the defeathering so I can tgry that recipe - sounds great! Think I will try that with some chicken just to savor the flavor I got reading your recipe! Ya, light meat vs duck type though maybe a chardonnay vs merlot and presto? Or heck - keep with the merlot.

Thanks!

The simplist way I have ever cooked duck breast that was delicious was fillet the breast meat, put jalapeno peppers slices (kind that is in a jar) in between the slices like a sandwich, wrap a slice of bacon around it to hold together and put it on a grill until bacon it done.
Only way I have found to eat a pile of them and my wife loves it this way as well.

Back