Hunting the reservations

mdcrossbow

I did a hunt in SD on a reservation, I had to enlist a guide but I did so only for a semi guided hunt. He dropped us off and we did our own scouting.

I am wondering if you or any of you have hunted the Reservation?

I did a hunt in SD on a reservation, I had to enlist a guide but I did so only for a semi guided hunt. He dropped us off and we did our own scouting.

I am wondering if you or any of you have hunted the Reservation?

There are Reservations here in AZ that have outstanding hunting. Some hunts require a guide and some don't. Elk, Mule Deer, Coues Deer, Bear,Javelina, Turkey, Mtn Lion and several small game/predators are available to hunt. San Carlos Apache and the Navajo are the most friendly to non-guided hunters.

I know the reservations in ND have their own tags,applications and seasons. The tags are open to anyone, the tags are a little pricey for someone who does not live on the reservation. No guide is neccessary.

How much does something like that cost?

Depends on the hunt. Most of the non-guided hunts will be close to 1K give or take a few hundred depending on species. Javelina and Turkey are around $250ish. Some of the elk hunts will be more than 1K, I'll have to dig around when I get a chance. I know you can hunt coues on the San Carlos in the rut for 1500.

I am just learning of reservation hunting. My guide I obtained in SD is a great guy. We talk all the time on the phone more as friends these days. I would like to learn more about other reservation.

The SD hunts , you do not need a license, you pay a reservation fee of $15 the guide may be 500-800 and the cost of the game 90 for turkeys I know.
Puss room and board and air or travel cost.

Al in all these are great prices for some outstanding hunting.

Last edited:
You'd be lucky to find a live mouse running around on the reservations in Montana. They certainly don't manage them like they do on reservations in other states. Fin and I ran into some of the locals this fall but they had all left the rez. to hunt the national forest. I guess that says something.

You'd be lucky to find a live mouse running around on the reservations in Montana. They certainly don't manage them like they do on reservations in other states. Fin and I ran into some of the locals this fall but they had all left the rez. to hunt the national forest. I guess that says something.

Same thing's happening in my neck of the woods. Luckily I don't hunt very easily accessible NF, but the easy access stuff, especially in trophy units are taking a beating.

I'd sure like to hunt the Flathead reservation for mule deer and whitetail...some incredible bucks that arent hunted properly or seriously by very many. Wouldnt suck to hunt ferry basin for elk or the St. Regis cut-off for bighorns either.

I asked the Ute tribe at their Booth, at the Salt Lake show if you could use a bow on their Buff hunts. They told me no bows, as they were not recognized as a legitimate weapon for the buffalo. HUH?:rolleyes:

The biologist on the Bison Range claims 4:1 bull to cow ratio.... I don't doubt it one bit.

I asked the Ute tribe at their Booth, at the Salt Lake show if you could use a bow on their Buff hunts. They told me no bows, as they were not recognized as a legitimate weapon for the buffalo. HUH?:rolleyes:
There's a head-scratcher....

Dinkshooter-Maybe you have to add a spotlight to your bow first. If that doesn't fly with the chief then I guess the next weapon of choice would be to dress like Jose to scare the buffalo off a cliff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back