PEAX Equipment

Montana Venison

elk_hunter

Alright, I picked up my Montana muley from the butcher a couple days ago and I was extremely excited to taste it since most of it was in 'steak form'. :D So I thawed a 2-steak pack and used one of my favorite recipes. I rubbed the steaks with Montreal steak seasoning along with some chili lime powder and grilled to a med-rare. I made some cilantro lime butter to top the steaks as well. Tonight I grilled those babies up and mmm, mmm, mmm...talk about tasty! My oldest daughter and I LOVED the meat, but mom and my youngest daughter didn't. Said it was too "gamey". :( Sooooo, next time, I'll try the same thing but I'll do the trick of removing the "gamey" taste by soaking the venison in milk. Guess I know who I'll be taking to the field this year...:D

Growing up my mom would never grind mule deer into burger. She always turned the whole thing into steaks. She always thought that any deer fat at all in the burger just killed it.

This year my deer was made completely into burger. Oh boy I thought this is going to be gamey and nasty. It's actually less gamey than my elk. We've used it in spaghetti and lasagna which usually can let you know if it going to be gamey. It's been great! This deer was processed by a local guy. Fin's wife made us some antelope lasagna as well and you couldn't even taste anything gamey. It's the first antelope that I could actually stomach. I'm not sure what makes things gamey for some and not others but my muley tastes great.

I've noticed that woman in particular, taste the GAMEY taste. I consider venison, a delicacy. I love it.
More woman like elk as opposed to deer I believe.

Yeah, that's really true. My wife loves elk but says muley is too gamey. :rolleyes: Anyway, at least one of my daughters will eat muley steak with me. :D As for the others that don't like it, I'll try the milk thing and see if that helps them any. And I'll let you know how that experiment goes. ;)

Lawnboy, your reference about antelope made me think about something. Many years ago, my dad was given some antelope meat and he turned that into some amazing "italian sausage hamburger" (don't know how else to describe it, but it was probably just ground hamburger like you mention and then seasoned) and proceeded to make a KILLER spaghetti with that meat in the sauce. OMG it was amazing. One of THE best meals I've ever had in elk camp. :D

We had some muley round chicken fry the other night. Delicious...not a bit gamey.

We chicken fried some muley round the other night. Delicious...not a bit gamey.

We chicken fried some muley round the other night. Delicious...not a bit gamey.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back