Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Whats in the" AMMO"

NDhunter33

Ok I new here and new to big game hunting.I just got a Remington model 770 in the 300 Win,Mag.What ammo do I invest inn for Deer and Elk,I live in ND.Thanks guys for any help :eek:

Can't go wrong with 180grn Remington Core-Lokts for deer. Might want to consider a Core Lokt Ultra or Swift Scirroco, even a Nosler AcuBond bullet (from Federal of course) for bigger critters like elk.

Good luck, and good hunting!

Yes. You can use cheaper ammo to practice with - but either leave the sights set for the "good" hunting ammo or re-sight in with the good stuff before hunting. I use the 180 gr for elk and everyting else. That simplifies things.

Welcome to big game hunting and to the site.
Yes, you have to use the same ammo to sight in as you hunt with. Different bullets shoot different. Also, you may have to try different ammo to see which one will shoot in your particular gun. Only problem is the cost. I prefer Federal and Hornady bullets, but I do not know anything about elk ammo and what it takes for them. Deer on the other hand I use Federal Nosler Partition and Hornady SST`s.
Good Luck and you came to the right place.

Welcome ND from Wyoming and an old 300 mag shooter. I've had both the Win Mag and the Weatherby and both are superb rifles but can give a nasty bit of recoil with the wrong ammo. Ammo/bullet weight adds recoil but at times is needed for penetration. One of the newest offerings and one that will be a great deer load without excess recoil would be the new Federals loaded with the 130 grain Barnes TSX. Another way to cut recoil is reduce the powder as Remington has done and for deer those Reduced Loads are plenty out of the 300. They are nicely priced also at around $25 compared to the Feds above at near or over $50. Different bullets do shoot to slightly different points of aim but get a feel for that by comparing at the range. I used to have some reloads that were lighter in recoil and then another premium bullet with more ooomph and both shot almost to the same points out to about 200 yds. Good luck with your rifle and shooting.

For Elk go with the 180-200 grain bullets in a Barnes TSX, a Nosler Partition, or one of the bonded bullets but be assured tehy do recoil. After you do a bit of shooting, get a friend to hand you the rifle and not tell you whether it's got a round in the chamber or not and then shoot a target. If the gun clicks but you jump work on conquering recoil and trigger pull.

As a guide for elk I saw a number of folks who had developed the yips with magnumitis as the cause.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back