What Gun?

mohunter

I am in the process of down sizing and trying decide on what rifle would be good for a do it all rifle. I am looking factory or a custom build. What calibers would you look at? Right now i will be hunting primarily in CO and hopefully in WY. I would also like something that would serve me well for a sitka deer hunt and hopefully other hunts in Alaska. I am not looking for a featherwieght rifle as i want something that I could shoot at longer ranges. Right now i am looking at 300 RUM, 300 WSM, 300 Win., or 7 mag. Just looking for info from experienced hunters out here as this will be my first year hunting out here with a rifle. Mostly bowhunted till now. Thanks.

I think it is hard to beat a .300 mag for an all-around rifle that will reach out a ways. If really long range is not a consideration, then the .30-06 is also great. A .338 mag is another good choice for Alaska.

While I started out with a .30-06, I had only a .300 Win mag for years and used it for everything but varmints. In fact, I only used 180 gr bullets - Nosler Solid Base or Partition - and they worked fine for deer, antelope, elk and pigs.

I think it is hard to beat a .300 mag for an all-around rifle that will reach out a ways.

Couldn't agree more. I have, or have had at one time, most every caliber you mentioned. If you asked me to go afield with only one rifle for all my hunting, it would be my .300 Win. It has killed everything from antelope and coyotes, to an Alaskan Brown Bear (requiring only one shot), and everything in between.

The RUM is great also, as is the WSM. But, the ballistic performance increase, though significant to some, is not enough that I thought it worth the difference.

If you don't handload, the selection of bullets and factory cartridges available is hard to beat. It can handle 165 gr to 220 gr with no problems, giving you a wide array of options, depending upon the game you are going after.

The recoil is the thing that gives people problems with many of the .30 caliber rounds. My rifle is a little heavier, and is definitely not an extreme mountain rifle. But, I still carry it around the mountains elk hunting. That little extra weight helps with recoil while at the bench. And by using a lead sled, I can shoot all day long at the range.

As they say, "Try it, you'll like it."

You won't go wrong with any of those calibers you are considering. Find the one that fits your needs the best, and it will perform as well as any hunter can perform. Good luck.

I'd stay away from the 300RUM personally. A buddy had one for a while and we could never get enough speed gain over the win mag to justify the action length and amount of powder we were burning. If you wanted something more than a 300win I'd think weatherby first.
I wouldn't worry about the caliber as much though, because any of the ones you listed would work for anything on the continent.
I'd spend more time finding the make of rifle that really catches your eye. Any idea on that yet?

stay away from the 300 short mag unless you plan on going ultralight. The ballistics are just too close to the win mag and the ammo is a lot more.

Of those you listed, I'd suggest either a the 300 Win Mag or the 7mm Rem Mag. With the right bullets, either will handle anything in NA. Heck, Warren Page was knocking over Brown Bears with his 7 mag long before all the super duper bullets we have now. The other good thing about either of those is that they are common enough that if you ever are seperated from your ammo you should be able to find some easy enough. In regards to the weight of the rifle and long range, what do you consider "featherweight" and what do you consider "Long Range"? 'Twer it me building the rifle, I'd shoot for somewhere between 7.5-8 pounds. Plenty light to pack about anywhere (I currently pack a 9.5+# Ruger) and still have enough heft to settle down in field positiions. While weight is one thing, how it balances is much more important IMO. My 30-06 and 223 are within 1/2# of eachother, but one feels noticably light due to the balance. Likewise, since you are wanting ONE rifle, I'd suggest going custom. That way it'll be exactly what you want!

I've used a 30.06 for years. I handload my own rounds, so I can load anything from varmints to bear and elk. I use the Hornady SST's and always have one shot kills. But, no matter what gun you choose, shot placement is the key to anything. I've dropped elk with 150 grain SST's with one shot.

I love my .300 WBY Mag, great for all of the Rocky Mountain game. I also love my .30-06 as well, but for more distance I prefer the Mag.

Yeah there are alot of good choices out there. I guess i should specify. By long range i am not talking thousand yards. Just looking for an accurate gun in the 8-9# pound range. Sounds like alot of people in favor of the 7 mag or 300 win. What good custom shops or smiths do you guys use. I am looking for a rifle that i will have for a while so while price could be an issue is not the main one if that makes sense. I have alot of rifles i have bought over the years because i got a good deal on them. I have never had a rifle that i bought specificly for me so to make a short story long i am selling alot of guns i have but really am not fond of and putting the money towards this rifle. Thanks for the info so far.

so to make a short story long i am selling alot of guns i have but really am not fond of and putting the money towards this rifle.

Don't forget to run your "for sale" list past me before releasing to the public. ;)

Before I'd call a gunsmith I'd make sure I have a pretty good idea of what I want. Here's a link that will give you plenty of idea of what folks have built:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/1252702/RIFLE_BLUEPRINTS_ONLY#Post1252702

I don't know what your budget call for, but if these offerings were within that I'd give these a hard look:
http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html
Though they are known for very light rifles, I've been told that Mr. Forbes will build them heavier if you want them that way.

If that's a little too steep for you, I also like the Nosler 48. I handled one yesterday in 270WSM and it does (to me) seem like a lot of rifle for $2K.

I've used a 30.06 for years. I handload my own rounds, so I can load anything from varmints to bear and elk. I use the Hornady SST's and always have one shot kills. But, no matter what gun you choose, shot placement is the key to anything. I've dropped elk with 150 grain SST's with one shot.

I couldn't agree more, especially for an all around rifle. My favorite rifle is an old Springfield 30-06, A3-03 w/ a Starburst barrel that I've restocked myself (stock was broken when I bought it). I mounted it w/ a 4 power Leupold scope. I've had this gun since 1979, and I shoot a factory165 grain BTSP almost exclusively. I've bagged elk and deer out to 400 yds w/ it w/ no problems. The gun weighs 8 lbs and is a little top heavy due to the match grade barrel, but it settles right in and shoots straight every time. I haven't had to change my scope in years... just check it now and then to make sure it's still good.
The thing about a 30-06 is ammunition is readily available most anywhere. There is ammunition available in a wide variety of weights and bullets for anything including big bears. I'm not a bear hunter, but I would imagine a 220 grain bullet would penetrate just fine. And, like you said, shot placement is the key. And a 30-06 won't buck you as hard and possibly cause you to start jumping from your gun like some of the larger calibers can do. It's a common caliber and people can't brag about it like they do others, but it's very functional.

Last edited:
Well I have been doing alot of research and begining to think the smartest thing to do is invest in a good scope and reloading equipment for my current rifle. I have a browning Abolt in 300 wsm that shoots really well just not my favorit rifle, but it seems stupid to invest in my go to rifle and then not be able to afford a scope to put on it or reloading equipment to get the best performance out of it. Still open to suggestions. My 300 shoots well enough that it could give me good practice reloading. Right now i have a burris fullfield 2 on it but would like to upgrade scopes. Not positive this is the way to go but just another option. And Oak when i decide what i will be "Running" :D in the future you will be the first to know what i am selling. Forgot to mention the positive to buying the scope and reloading equipment would be i could put the extra money to tags until I decide which rifle to go with.

Before I'd call a gunsmith I'd make sure I have a pretty good idea of what I want. Here's a link that will give you plenty of idea of what folks have built:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/1252702/RIFLE_BLUEPRINTS_ONLY#Post1252702

I don't know what your budget call for, but if these offerings were within that I'd give these a hard look:
http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html
Though they are known for very light rifles, I've been told that Mr. Forbes will build them heavier if you want them that way.

If that's a little too steep for you, I also like the Nosler 48. I handled one yesterday in 270WSM and it does (to me) seem like a lot of rifle for $2K.

You liked the Nosler? I didnt think it was too bad, but it sure looked like nothing more than a Howa, with a few different angles...not that the Howa is a bad action, just thinkin one could build a better gun for the money.

NULA's are sweet, I havent herd anything bad about Melvin's work.

A 700 XCR in 30-06 with a trigger job and the barrel cut to 22" in a McMillan Classic stock, Leupold DD's, and a Leupold VX 3 3.5-10X40 will do anything you ever want.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back