2010 DIY Pronghorn

Gunner46

Anyone interested in partnering for a DIY pronghorn hunt. WY or MT, I guess, but open for suggestions.

I may be headed that way but i haven't decided yet. Just so you know though i am a rookie so i would be learning as well.

I would love to but like Dinkshooter said, is it possible without points? I wouldn't know where to begin to start planning....I guess the DNR or whatever those states call it?

Points help, but there are areas that you can draw with no points. In some instances, the special draw, which is more expensive makes it easier to draw as a non-resident, with no points.

If you can find a tag in a unit west of I-25, there is enough public land in that unit to make a hunt of it. That should help with your search.

I have hunted antelope in Wyoming six of the last eight years. There are a few whopper bucks in every unit. Takes lots of looking to find them. Even in the best units, that take years to draw, boomer bucks are not standing behind every bush.

And, the joy of antelope hunting is the sheer numbers of animals you will see. I would rather go and hunt average of overlooked units every year, than to hunt once every five years. You will shoot more big bucks by hunting every year, even in the marginal units, than hunting every five years in the supposedly "premium" units.

If you give me an idea of units you are looking at, I can tell you what percent of that unit is public land.

Here is the link to the Wyoming draw odds on our resource page - http://oyoa.hunterstrailhead.com/huntsearch.php?ST=WY

Good luck.

Great info Randy. I would love to head to Wyoming for a shot at a Pronghorn. If I am reading the chart from the link correctly it looks as though non-residents can easily get a tag and hunt with no pref. points. Any suggestion on what unit one should apply for or where to find info on the different units. I assume I can find all this info on the WY Game and Fish site?

Thanks,
Chris

Check out the Wyoming fish and game website for HMA access.Alot of these are in areas with left over licenses because of the lack of public hunting areas.My partner bought his license 2 weeks before we went out for archery.They weren't overcrowded either.I went back 2nd week in gun season, and shot my buck on one of them in unit 45.Second week of gun had unlimited permits, and so did archery.There were tons of antelope running around the area.Can't wait to take my boys someday.
Just another option for you to consider.I'll be doing it again this year while banking points.Your welcome to come with me, and hunt

Thanks for the info Oak. I'm taking my daughter on her 1st big game hunt, WY Antelope and I appreciate the info.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back