Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Deer Pictures

mdhunter

I was wondering about your experiences getting repetitive pictures of mature deer with a trail camera. I have several cameras out located on both trails and food plots. My experience is I can only get one picture of the truely "big buck". The little guys don't mind having their pictures taken over and over but the mature deer only get one shot and then they move on (and I mean move on). No more pictures from that location again.

Are the infared flashes that important? I dont use them....

Infared is the only way to go, IMO. I think the deer can still hear the camera as it functions but the difference between white (regular) flash and infared is the difference. I've got two cameras, both infared, and get multiple pics of mature bucks vs. my cousin with a regular camera who gets very few pics. The prices on the digital infared cameras are not as bad as they used to be either, seriously consider one.

I use IR cams, but still have the same issues with mature bucks. There are some exceptions, and I usually get several pics of a mature buck when he visits the first time, but after that time, I usually don't get pics of him again at that exact location.

personally haven't noticed any change in behavior

I personally have used flash cams from WI, MN, to KS and have never really noticed any change in behavior.. I have thought heard of plenty of guys who have. Now big to me is 140-160 buck, so that is what i'm talking about.... i don't think i've ever had a truly monster whitetail in a pic anyways..... but i have tons of pics of legit 140+ and they come in repeatedly. Why i rarely shoot them is an entirely different story!! ha

I was bow hunting last year and had a buck walk by a trail camera that I didnt turn off before getting into the stand. The time was just before sunrise so the flash went off. The deers reaction would best be described as looking like someone smacked him on the ass with a canoe paddle. His reaction was all the lesson I needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back