Episode #9 - Midwest Whitetails

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
This whitetail episode starts airing today, August 28th on Outdoor Channel. It will air today at 11:30 am and 10:00 pm, and Sunday at 3:00 pm (all times Mountain times).

I am interested to hear what guys think of this one. Many of you watched and read the threads as I was posting from Iowa and Kansas.

As those of you know, who read the threads, I had drawn these tags in the same year and had planned to hunt farms for some good friends. When we found out we would be filming these hunts, I changed the locations and decided to film on the accessible grounds of wildlife management areas and walk-in hunting areas.

It was great fun, but not without some major challenges.

Here is the Hunt Talk link, if you care to read about the Midwest Whitetail hunt, as it occurred.

IMG_3369.JPG

I thought you got a buck in Kansas or did I sleep through that part of the show.Didn't you get the kill on film?

I thought you got a buck in Kansas or did I sleep through that part of the show.Didn't you get the kill on film?

Correct, I did shoot a buck.

Didn't get it on film. Shot him the morning after the first camera guy left, and on my way to Iowa. The editors didn't want to use the footage I took of myself packing it out. I am sure it is very low grade footage, so I don't blame them.

I DVR'd this episode and watched it yesterday! Now that is the type of hunting I am used to...it was nice to see a TV program where the outcome was more about the hunt and less about the Trophy. I found myself pulling for you and hoping you were going to bag a big one. But by the end of the episode...there was a certain satisfaction that going home without a buck does not dampen what the experience is all about and that is hunting~

In addition, I like the fact that the show did not start with the so typical kill shot that fades to black as you hear the sound of the rifle go off. The beginning of the show was refreshing and left some anticipation for the rest of the episode.

A couple of things I found interesting...you wearing Sitka gear but you still sounded and looked cold! I might have to wait on purchasing the gear and stick with my wools? Thoughts? Big Fin, I have not watched all of the episodes but like the fact that you reference your maps and research...It sure would be nice to see an episode that documents a little of the front end of a hunt...not the shopping part but you pulling the maps out and narrowing your hunting options.

Grizz:

Thanks for the comments. I wish the camera would have worked when the big buck in Iowa came in that cold evening. But the liquid in an LCD screen freezes if it gets too cold. If nothing else, they should have played the part with me and the cameraman cussing the situation.

I have received a lot of emails from Midwestern guys regarding this episode. Maybe this is reflective of what a lot of guys have to deal with on public lands back there.

Reality is, the industry has fine tuned the process for getting big bucks killed on TV. And, that process is not stumbling around public grounds with lots of other hunters. So, it will be a while until we do another midwest whitetail hunt. Not because we need success in every episode, but because there is so much of that on TV, and most viewers and sponsors are waiting for someone a hell of a lot more attractive then me, to dump Big Hank.

As far as temps, yeah, I was layered up, and I am sure whatever I might have worn, I would have been cold. Maybe it is just me. The wind was howling, and the below zero temps were brutal, when combined with that wind.

If I had planned on just sitting all day, I would have layered with the thickest wools I could find. But, I was slowly moving around, so I wanted something in layers that I could add and take off as need be.

When, not if, but when, I do these hunts again, they will be archery hunts in November. There are some whopper bucks to be had, even on the public lands, but I would trade the firearm, for a season that allowed me to hunt the rut. I just think the odds would be more in the hunter's favor to be armed with a bow during the peak rut, rather than a firearm, long after the rut.

Hope all of you get a chance to do it someday. Midwest whitetails is a great hunt, no matter the outcome.

The buck Randy shot in Kansas was less than ten miles south of where my family farmed for four generations and I still have a bunch of family and friends back there. I tried to hook him up to hunt some good private ground. I also offered to put him in touch with people that would push deer for him but he chose to do it on his own.

Randy: I think it was very noble of you to to show the hunt the way you did. Count me in when you want to archery hunt these guys during the rut.

I enjoyed the show very much and to bad you couldn't get the kill on film in Kansas.The reality of hunting public land in Iowa is that it gets lots of pressure.It starts in September with the youth season for about three weeks,which usually over laps a weekend with the bow season that starts the first of October and runs until the first shotgun season the first Saturday in December.During this period there is a early muzzle loader season for residents only that last for nine days in the middle of October.The first gun season is for 5 days.The second gun season starts the following weekend and runs for nine days.The next day the late season muzzle loader season starts and runs until the tenth of January,the late bow season runs at this time as well.So from the third Saturday in September until the tenth of January the season is closed for a total of 2 days.The result is pressured nocturnal deer.Still every year lots of bucks including some monsters are taken on public land in Iowa.Your best bet is bow hunting the rut or taking advantage of the pressured deer during the gun seasons.Now private land thats a different story and thats what you usually see on T.V.Great show and looking forward to the next one.

I watched this episode and maybe you can correct me, but I believe you "reused" some footage from Kansas when you were in Iowa or the reverse of that. The scene of the creek crossing and some footage of a corn field. I have not had time to re-watch it to make sure, just thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone else noticed this.

MN Public Hunter,
I also seen that but was not sure, guess I was not the only one who is seeing double. LOL
Hey Randy, I my self am trying to film my own hunts this year, and public land is the only way to go, keep up the good work.
To all who hunt public land, we "the hunter's" are the ONLY one's who can, and will keep hunting going for the next guy, so please buy your tags, hunt public, and hunt hard!!

"MAY GOD BLESS THE HUNTER"

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back