MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Are Hilliberg tents worth the $ ?

Grady

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Getting into backpack hunting and was looking into tents. We currently car camp and have done DIY horse camps in Wyoming/Colorado for years. Might try MT next year.

I've done searches on this and other forums and Hilleberg tents seem to come highly reccommended but are roughly twice the price of the alternatives.I was looking at a 2 man freestanding model (Soulo or Unna) for a little extra room.

I usually try to spend my money on experiences rather than gear. I've hunted my whole life with the same beat up old 700 because it works and I don't need anything fancier. That being said I know how important shelter can be in adverse weather.

Its just hard to justify the money for something that gets used maybe two weeks a year; usually when the weather is nice. For those of you that have them, any advice? Words of wisdom? Have you used it in bad weather and how did it stand up? Is it a purchase you would make again? etc.

Thanks,

G

Its just hard to justify the money for something that gets used maybe two weeks a year; usually when the weather is nice. For those of you that have them, any advice? Words of wisdom? Have you used it in bad weather and how did it stand up? Is it a purchase you would make again? etc.

I used to think the same way. Then I came back to a tent after archery hunting elk all day in the rain. My sleeping pad and bag was floating in the tent. I actually think I bought that tent at a grocery store. What a bargain.

2007 my brother and I split funds on a Nallo 2. Spent some time in AK getting rained on in it. What a difference. Night and day. This year with the help of funds gathered from selling my sheep cape last year we bought a Nallo 2 GT. Still a awesome tent as well. I would really love to get a Akto as well. Light weight, tough, I love the inner tent color yellow as it is bright and cheery in there, even when it is not.

My only fear is a bear munching it when no one is around. That would hurt a little.

Attachments

• P1000122.jpg
    P1000122.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 1,311
  • P1000894.jpg
    P1000894.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 1,451
Last edited:
Nice pictures,DS.... thanks for posting.

I looked at the Nallo/Akto tube types, but I thought the freestanding features of the other two might be important some day high on a mountain somewhere(sans soil). Like I said before, I only want to have to spend the money once....assuming the bears stay away.

But considering you bought a second one, I take it you're a fan?

John,

If you and DTC can build me a 3 lb bombproof backpacking tent, I'll certainly consider it......

: )

I have no experience with them, but many of Big Agnes's tents appear to have a very good weight to space ratio. I'll be trying out a Sierra Designes Orgami 2 this fall. It's basically a fancy tarp shelter, but for early Sept. I can imagine needing too much of a shelter.

We use tarps in nice weather in Colorado. But I wouldn't feel comfortable going out in the mountains for several days without a more substantial form of shelter.

Maybe just me,

G

Lots of great options

Old thread but just saw it and since I am packing up for early archery I thought I would through my two cents out there - Hillberg tents are well worth the money. Mine has always stood up to the wet heavy snows here in the northwest very well.

I also love my Kifaru gear - but it is spendy as well. I usually opt for one of these for most of my trips.... I like rommy, floorless and heat.
My 8 man - backpack elk camp delux.....
385984645_sgEUR-L.jpg

Or my lite weight - Super Tarp w/annex and Ti goat stove - right at 3#'s complete.....
526365006_ZnSWB-L.jpg

Thanks for the pics and advice Bitt. Good luck on your archery hunt.

G

Grady, depending on your body structure, the Soulo should serve you and your gear just fine. A fellow hunter of mine is 6' 2" at 200lbs. The Soulo sleeps him and his 6,000 ci MR Grizzly. This is not putting the pack in the vestibule.

I have used the Soulo this past year. I am a bit smaller at 5' 8" and use the MR CC pack and fit just fine and could get dressed inside the tent.

I did not think the Staika was worth the additional 3.5 lbs of weight for 14' sqft. The extra room would be good, but remember that if you are using it alone, you have to heat that extra room. The Saika is basically the 2 person Soulo with 2 vestibules.

Give Charlie a call at www.bearriveroutfitters.com, he can answer all kinds of questions about tents. Plus, he has used nearly all of them.

I take it all the pics from old are gone again...

All well, I was going to show one of my shelters, it works well, light weight and doesn't take long to set up and even less to pick up camp...

It does take a little mind over matter to be comfortable...

If you don't mind, it don't matter... :)

I've spent several weeks elk hunting out of a Nallo 3 GT. Very solid and well made tent with a huge vestibule. We've since moved to floorless tents, but Hilleberg's are fine tents!

I have used an Allak extensively in all kinds of conditions and can say without hesitation that these tents are made of supreme materials and have excellent design features as well. Mine has a vestibule area on both sides and although tight for two people and their sleeping bags, it will withstand some nightmarish conditions. I can't imagine buying a cheap tent...

All well, I was going to show one of my shelters, it works well, light weight and doesn't take long to set up and even less to pick up camp...

It does take a little mind over matter to be comfortable...

If you don't mind, it don't matter... :)

Even without having seen it EC, I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with it. Anything is comfortable as long as you can ignore how uncomfortable you really are.

:)

I have spent many long, uncomfortable days and nights attempting to determine the most reward for the least investment with gear as well as other aspects of life.

That's how I learned that sleeping bag temp ratings are only promising you that you won't die of exposure in that bag at that temp.

:D

I have used the Soulo this past year. I am a bit smaller at 5' 8" and use the MR CC pack and fit just fine and could get dressed inside the tent.

Give Charlie a call at www.bearriveroutfitters.com, he can answer all kinds of questions about tents. Plus, he has used nearly all of them.

WB,

Thanks for the advice. I'm about 5'9" so a Soulo should be roomy.

And I should also be significantly lighter for having saved up $500 in "lunch money" to buy the thing.

I've researched tents for quite a while now thanks to folks like SM who write great reviews, and have yet to hear any real problems with it. They look to be bombproof. Hilleberg has a clip on youtube that shows them withstanding a hellacious wind storm out on the tundra
somewhere. Pretty impressive.

Have talked with Charlie too....seems like a real good guy.

Grady,
I used it this past weekend with the temps in the teens, 14 mph winds. It did just fine for me again! I had no issues with it setting it up in the dark in those conditions. I did not experience any issues with condensation either!

I am still tweeking my sleeping back and gear orientation in my pack.

Rudy

Something worth mentioning is that the re-sale on Hilleberg stuff is good if you decide to try something else later on. They're never very discounted, so the demand seems to remain pretty high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back