Caribou Gear Tarp

A taxidermy wreck

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Come home from work today, thinking I will sit in the recliner and read a book. Walk in to the Randy room, and things ain't looking too good. Not sure what happened, until a little closer inspection.

Before the wreck.
IMG_0928.JPG

Something is missing.
IMG_3727.JPG

What I would call a sheet rock failure.
IMG_3715.JPG

What happens when the elk slides down the wall and does a wedgie.
IMG_3716.JPG

What is left of the pedestal mount on the coffee table.
IMG_3724.JPG

"Cut me Mitch!"
IMG_3720.JPG

A splitting headache.
IMG_3723.JPG

The pieces are still in place, but needing some "body work." Hope the taxi has soltution for this one. Wonder if Home Depot and that "guaranteed to hold 150 pounds" hanger will cover these costs? I know that answer.
IMG_3726.JPG

Hmmm. Glad is was my son's elk, and not mine. :p

ouch and I guess we don't have to say never trust a mount attached just to sheetrock no matter what the hanger is rated for and always make sure you get that nail or screw set far enough into a stud---really sucks though is the bottom line....

That blows. Good thing I only shoot little critters and can get away with sheet rock.

I used the same damn bracket! Luckily, like you I used it on my son's Deer! Ripped out of the wall, took out the Molding with the point of the Mount board and made the Antlers a little loose. Sorry bout that! John

I used the same damn bracket! Luckily, like you I used it on my son's Deer! Ripped out of the wall, took out the Molding with the point of the Mount board and made the Antlers a little loose. Sorry bout that! John

...your garage is sheerocked?:D...must be a Loozianner first.

At least it didn't fall on someone's head..... If that's where you want to keep it mounted, now might be a good time to cut out the sheetrock and put in a brace between studs before you repair the wall.

Ouch, hope the taxidermist can get you pieced back together. Does your son know his elk took a tumble?

I know you are waiting for my reply .I did not pack that head and cape out so some poor handyman could ruin it , mayby next time you should get some help .Well I'm sure Mathew will forgive you .Ha!

That is a hard lesson learned. Elk=At least a 3 inch lag.

On your next house, do like the big dogs and sheet the whole trophy room with 3/4 plywood before it is drywalled.

That smooth wall sheetrock not an easy fix either. It'll take a good taper to fix that. I've built a few trophy rooms for clients. One house had 2 wolves chasing a stone sheep up a cliff. I practically filled the whole trophy room with backing. Sonic booms can bring down a mount. Not in my houses though. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

If I'd have known that you had that thing only anchored into the sheetrock, I'd of never sat underneath it. Come on Randy you can't trust sheetrock to hold up a beast like that. Good thing you know a sheetrocker/lawnguy/dork:D I bet Matthew was pissed. I've got a studfinder you can borrow when you hang that thing back up.

Sorry to see that Randy. Maybe it's a sign though, that elk knew he was going to be replaced this fall and he wanted to go out with a bang! :)

That's too bad. I don't even trust my antelope in sheetrock.

My wife is vaguely amused by my 30 minutes on the ladder with a studfinder, tape measure and pencil every time I have something to hang. I used a 3 1/2" lag bolt in a stud to hang my elk.

That is a hard lesson learned. Elk=At least a 3 inch lag.

On your next house, do like the big dogs and sheet the whole trophy room with 3/4 plywood before it is drywalled.

I just did that in my newly created mancave. Feels good knowing I can hang whatever, wherever and it will hit solid wood

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back