Caribou Gear

2009 Brown Bear Hunt

TBinKodiak

My friend and I drew tags for SW Afognak and Raspberry Island. We had planned on taking a week to go bear hunting, but after a couple other obligations were taken care of we ended up with 3 days to hunt. Lucky for us the weather was great and we took off Thursday morning. We made it to the hunting area around 11 and started spotting bears right off the bat. This one needed a closer look.
09Bear1.jpg

Nope to small
09Bear2.jpg

How about this one? Nope rubbed.
09Bear2a.jpg

There's one on the beach.
09Bear13.jpg

Oh hey, another one on the beach.
09Bear17.jpg

Hey is that one? Nope just an elk.
09Bear18.jpg

Another one not just right.
09Bear15.jpg

So what's wrong with that bear?
09Bear16.jpg

Mmm King salmon on the grill (ok it was small, but tasted damned good).
09Bear14.jpg

Well I guess someone should shoot a bear. This one wasn't the biggest we'd seen, but looked big enough to me. The 338 with 250 gr partitions worked with 2 through the lungs and heart and one in the back end. The 40 foot drop to the beach also helped end the matter.

09Bear4.jpg

I won't know the age until tomorrow, but she's got worn teeth and white claws so I'd guess at least 10-12
09Bear5.jpg

The decapitation tools
09Bear7.jpg

A little bloody but the skinning is done.
09Bear8.jpg

Should make a nice rug.
09Bear12.jpg

So we spotted 16 bears in 2 and a half days, none were cubs. We got up on about 9 of them and did blow a stalk on a nice chocolate bear in the 9.5' range. Also had a chocolate in the 9' range get past us. This one squares out a little over 8.5'. I wanted one in the 9' range, but I'm happy with it.

Nice job guys. Trevor, I'll be in Anchorage Jun 10 - 27 if you're up that way, let me know. I'll be in Trashanistan this fall so the hunting season is shot. Your pics have me champing at the bit for a 2010 spring peninsula brown bear hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back