Caribou Gear

My first antelope mount

Lawnboy

I've always wanted to mount one of my animals and finally got an opportunity. My friend is a taxidermist and he let me work beside him as he did a couple of antelope. It was real fun and I can't wait to try more. We used a Mckenzie "sweep" form and Mckenzie opt-tech eyes. You can't see the detail much and that's probably a good thing.:) Let me know what you think (good or bad) I'm a learnen.

Attachments

• lope1.jpg
    lope1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 341
  • lope2.jpg
    lope2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 306
  • lope3.jpg
    lope3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 361
I think it looks pretty nice, from what I can tell by the pictures.

I've considered giving it a try myself, but have no experience and no taxi friends. How much time did it take you, what would you rate the difficulty level as, and how much harder would it have been without your buddies help?

Thanks,
Carl

Very cool buck. Given my very limited skills in most anything, even thinking about a project like that is out of the question, let alone trying it.

That is a very heavy buck, with great length. You should have had it scored officially.

It took me around 8-10 hours. I could only work with him some days for 2 hours at a time. We let it dry for about 3 days before we finished with the painting. I ordered a video that your supposed to use to help but I can now see that you miss so much as opposed to having someone there. I was able to ask him questions and have him fix some of my mess ups. I don't think it would have looked very good at all without his help. It will be fun to look at the video now and see what we did different. I definatly have a new appreciation for taxidermists and their artistic ability. Can't wait to try another.

Nice! Man, the bases look big on that buck.

Now you've got me thinking about 'lope hunting. How many more days?

Thanks for the compliments.

Schmalts what close up shots are you looking for? I'll try to snap some for you.

I told Big Fin that I need to drop by his house/museum and see some of his antelope mounts. I'm curious to see how other taxidermist do eyes, ears ect...

Looks like a good job to me....and a great animal to boot!! ( I say "animal" because I still ain't too sure if they are "Rams", like other antelope, but since they aint really antelope, "Buck"....maybe they are "Bulls"???)

Very nice!! I really need to give doing my own a try as the wife's a bit tight with the purse-strings when it comes to taxi work as she doesn't like it...

I thought it turned out good. I look at him everyday:D I can sure see how antelope guys get addicted. I'm hoping I draw this year. I'm going to try out the Black Cow decoy for sure if I do. The next episode really shows how well it works. Can't wait for all you guys to start posting pictures. Were getting close.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back