Backpacking Gear advice

----

I've never backpack hunted before, and am needing gear to start out.
I'm pretty much starting from scratch, and need to get everything as cheap as possible. I'm not expecting to have a first rate set-up, just something that can get me by for a 4-5 day trip in September and October. I'm young and have no experience with quality gear, so I'm sure I can get by with lower quality stuff for a few years.

I've found both 'High peak' and 'Swissgear' tents online between 40-60 bucks. Are these even worth looking at or would I be better off looking for a used REI or something along those lines?

I'm probably going to miss some obvious things on my checklist, so any suggestions on what all I should plan on getting would really help.

Any experience on some of the better buys out there, or maybe a line on some good hand-me-down stuff would be really appreciated.

And are you looking for a small backpacking tent, 2 man type? Something along the lines of a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight?

How about Dana Design Stillwater, made in Bozeman, $125, has some bloodstains.
MSR whisperlight stove with a fuel bottle.. $25
Sierra Designs ClipFlashlight tent, used, no rips, tears or damage at all. $75

Stillwater is the same as this pack, except a dual zipper access and built in shove-it strap, which is much better for hunting than the TerraPlane.

Terraplane on Ebay

Whisperlite stove on ebay

Clip Flashlight Tent details..

If you don't want the stuff, anybody else interested, let me know. With 2 NICE frames, several bags, a bibler and Hilleberg tent, and 2 other stoves... I just dont' use this stuff anymore.

I'm already set on packs, I have an aluminum pack frame that will work good enough for hauling my gear in and out.

As far as tents go, I'm really open to whatever will work. So far I've been looking at two person dome style along the lines of the REI half dome- http://www.rei.com/product/728308 - but really have no preference as long as its big enough for me and some gear.

I'm also going to need a bag and some sort of thermal pad.

I'm a really small guy so I can probably be more comfortable than most in a more compact set up.

Very interested, you don't happen to know what 'torso size' your pack's rated for do you?

It's a Medium with a Medium belt. Unless you are really tiny, it should fit. The Dana packs are adjustable to some extent.
some pictures of the pack in use. If you want I can take some close ups of it sometime.. It's basically a Bozeman-made Dana Arcflex suspension system, two fulllength zippers on the side of the main compartment, with a lid. Same exact pack as Terraplane, except has the beavertail shove-it flap on the back instead of the tube pockets. I thought I'd never sell it, but with 2 NICE frames and various bags, I just don't use it.
BryanKurt.jpg

2004MTMuleyinpack.jpg

Kurts1998MTMuleDeer.jpg

Nonya2000.jpg

RF2004MTbackpack.jpg

If you don't mind sitting on them for a few weeks until I can scrape up the coin, I'll take all three

Looks like I'm headed in the right direction, just need input on an affordable sleeping bag and thermal mat now.

Have you ever considered just making your shelter out of rocks, drinking your own urine, and eating grass?????

Neither have I, but I hear there are people up by Anaconda that don't even mess with tents, they just dig holes in the forest.....

Few questions:

On thermarests, inflatable or foam?

Sleeping bags; the bag I buy will likely get used april-november. Should I go with a 0 degree bag and keep it unzipped in the summer, or get a 15-25 degree bag and pack a fleece liner or blanket in the fall?

Greenhorn, very respectable helping the young/inexperienced hunter out.

Jose, good job on......... oh wait, nothing. You bring nothing to the table. As I type these words I know you are relishing in the mere fact that I am responding to another asinine post of yours. I know that your intelligence far exceeds your sarcastic and at times humorous posts. But, here we have a genuine young hunter looking for some guidance and you jest. I just feel that there are some posts even you would consider taboo. If you're really that bored, perhaps there are some orphaned lepers in some third world country you may want to patronize.

Back Pack Hunting

Randy 11...I surly don't want to take anything away from Hunt Talk which is a great site!

However, between this site and kifaru.net both are great places to find helpful information. Although Kifaru.net's equipment is high end product with a high end price tag I found the information very helpful. I found information on what to put in the pack related to emergency, packing food, ultra light packing and many other helpful essays written by Patrick.

The two most helpful threaded discussions on Kifaru.net were in Patrick's essays and in the hunting forum under the threaded discussion "Ultra Light".

Also check out sawtoothadventures.com...he has a lot of back packing experience and you might find some interesting informtion on his sight as well.

Good luck!

Randy

If your still following this thread

There are techniques you can use to keep the weight down and have a good time, especially for short term hunts like your talking about

PM me and I'll pass them on, I've posted many pics and stories about how this is done and taken a Hunttalker out on one last year

This works very well on limited budgets

If your still looking for a bag I would check out Wiggy's.com they are made in the U.S.A. and you can pick up a good bag for around $200.00, you can also find them on ebay if you want to cut cost even more they typically run 4lbs but again you pay for light gear.

As for the tent you might be able to shave some cost off that by getting a bivy and siltarp. I would check out Integral Designs for a siltarp ($75)ish brand new. If your planning on backpacking alot I would start there and save up for a nice MSR or Hilleberg tent down the road, it's all about weight. Hope that helps.

Back