401k let it ride or slide

schmalts

Anyone pull out into bonds or other funds yet? Man it looks gloomy. I was out at 9700 and then back in at 8500. I wonder now if I should have stayed out. I think this country is just starting to come to grips with the future we face.

Hell no, thinking about uping to 15% while it is low, buying 3 times the shares you were, back in 2007.

I put my current contributions back into stocks. I figure each dollar is buying more now, and if things totally tank, we're all screwed anyway. With about 10 years left to retirement, I'm betting on it getting better sooner or later.

a couple guys I work with pulled it out of stocks around august.... Damn good move, think of the return on that if they put back in now. My prediction is we will not see 10k again for at least 2 years. So the question is, why not make 5% on bonds until it goes back up? Do you guys really think it is going to go up fast? Hell, look at the layoffs, look at GM and all the suppliers of GM, it will have a domino effect.

I'm assuming most of you responding to this thread are old enough to remember the roller coaster effect that happened in the 70’s-90’s when fuel tripled...

The trend is still following along the same base guidelines as happened then...

Commodities held on for awhile, then started to climb, raw resources plummeted, some larger industries all but or did collapse, property fell, incomes didn’t move upward for many years

When expendable income finally started to catch up, then every thing else started the climb again...

History repeats itself and any one not looking at 20-30 years in the past, won't see what's going to happen that far in the future... :)

The theory is very simple buy low, sell high. With the market trashed and stocks at record lows, it would be very foolish to bail out at market lows. I have also doubled my 401K contribution recently. I probably wont be retiring for another 20 years so I'll take the front car on the roller coaster.

It's devastating to see your retirement go from $575K to $338K, but I'm in for the long haul. Best of luck to all!

So come on, with the auto makes about to go belly up and a shitty outlook for at least a couple year, no one still thinking about bailing? hell since i first made this topic you could have saved how much percentage?

Warren Buffet quote

"Be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful. "

Now is the time to buy..buy..buy!

But buy into good "solid" companies that pay a good dividend and are way off their highs. Utilities, GE, DOW, CHK just to name a few. I would be careful with banks but have looked at BAC, WFC and USB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back