UT Pronghorn

Oak

Expert
As you know, I was lucky enough to draw one of Don Peay's 200 convention tags in Salt Lake last February. I had applied for everything with horns or antlers, and so I didn't know a thing about the unit I drew. After doing a bit of checking around, the consensus was that the unit is loaded with antelope, but they don't get very big. A check of the B&C website showed ONE entry for the county...an 81" goat killed in 1985.:rolleyes:

I went up two days early to learn a bit about the area and see if I could find a decent buck. After hunting the last few years in WY, this place was a shock. I drove over 100 miles of backroads each day, stopping on every hill to glass, and couldn't believe the lack of goats. I don't think I saw over 150 either day. And the quality really left something to be desired. Even several of the locals I talked to said that there were not nearly as many antelope around this year.

Can you believe not a goat in sight from this vantage point (ironically called Antelope Springs Draw)?

antspgs.jpg

Found some 'lopes up at 9,600', along with a couple of sage-grouse:

forestlopes.jpg

Lots of these guys around:

dog_1.jpg

I camped near "Elsie's Nipple":D:

elsie.jpg

Sunset:

sunglow.jpg

Different land management practices. BLM on the left, USFS on the right:

blm_usfs.jpg

I decided that I would have to find the best looking 12"er and hunt him like a booner. The last evening I found a buck that was a bit bigger than anything I had seen, so I decided to try for him on the opener the next morning. I watched him through the spotter until dark and just threw the sleeping bag in the back of the truck right there. Got up and headed out before sunrise the next morning and hiked the mile or so over to the little plateau he had been on. After a bit of searching, I found him heading down a draw on a mission, right towards me. I found a good spot to wait and let him step out about 90 yards away. Hunt over at 7:30am:

ut08_1.jpg

ut08_2.jpg

So, I don't know that I'll put $5 in the draw for this hunt next year. Not much in the way of quality in the unit, but the up side is that I was hunting antelope. Far better than working!

Great pictures,great story and way to make the most of your trip.

Well worth the $5 investment. Nice looking goat, nice pictures.

And, a picture is worth a 1000 words, the BLM vs. FS photo is classic.

Nice work Oak, great pics. Surprised about the "Bureau of Livestock and Mining" land.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you still had fun Oak. What else you going to chase this year?

How tall? Nice goat. I'm headed back out in the morning for the bow hunt here. My buddy killed a nice little 9 1/2" goat earlier this week and I screwed up on a 12 'er. I'll give it one more crack and then I need to focus on elk.....

Great photo's Oak. Glad you got your goat so easy in a unit that dosn't have a bunch. maybe next time you can get one of those lowly Utah bull elk tags.

Good looking buck, I like his upswept prongs. Congrats.

Hey nice lope! Did you send DP a thank you note for his great management?

Geez.....that's a good buck. Looks like you got to enjoy some beautiful new country. Great pics....congrats on the hunt.

Well worth the $5 investment.

Yeah, plus the $275 dollars spent on the other tag apps at the convention, the $200 in gas, meals, entrance fee to the convention, the $65 UT hunting license, the $288 pronghorn tag, and 650 miles worth of gas in the Heavy Duty for scouting. So, that antelope only cost me about $1000, plus two days of missed work. Worth every penny.;)

sreekers, mountain goat in AK is next, then straight to WY for deer and antelope. I'll finish up in November with two elk tags and a deer tag in CO.

Coop, the buck is a hair over 14".

Thanks for the congrats....

Way cool!!!! Nice buck and field pics!

Deer in Nov.? Is that a special late season tag? Migration hunt? Do tell!

Can't wait to see the goat pics!

Speed goats and Billy goats...life don't get much better I assume.

Looking forward to finding out about these lopes next year. Would it behoove me to hunt both deer and lopes in WY next year?

My bud just got back from Kodiak goat hunting. He and his party went three for three, but said the goats were slim pickings in his area. I'll forward you the pics once I get them. A little over two weeks before I skedaddle out of here.

Good looking antelope, and great pics!

Using the Sunset Pic as the desktop on my laptop:D Thanks

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back