Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Everyone ready for pronghorn?

mtmiller

Only 9 days away for me. Guess I better get the blind out soon. Axl is primed.;)
lope_dog.jpg

I found this one for you schmaltsie. Not a huge buck, but interesting horns.
schmalts_lope.jpg

looking real green out there! I took a drive yesterday to the NW corner of the state. Water everywhere, the goats are all spread out, with the best grass/cover I've seen since living here . It's gonna be real good for spot and stalking.

Saw lot's of average bucks, but nothing worth getting excited about....except for that freaking huge muley on private land.

I'm ready, but I haven't really seen anything that I'd like to chest vent. It doesn't seem like there's near the quality of bucks this year compared to the last two...which is confusing since we've had alot better moisture this year than the last two. Either way I'll be out in 11 days.

I am pumped, it is getting so close. Cant make it for opening weekend for my prime tag, but will get there the next one.

Here it is illegal to harrass big game with dogs. They can only be used under limited circumstances for wild pig and in some cases (in season anyway) for deer. Unless Axl is pointing with only 2 feet on the ground.... ;)

Yep, I'm ready. Only one tag this year, starting in about one month.

Here it is illegal to harrass big game with dogs. They can only be used under limited circumstances for wild pig and in some cases (in season anyway) for deer. Unless Axl is pointing with only 2 feet on the ground.... ;)

Actually the lope was harassing Axl.

Ax was pretty much oblivious to the doe and and more interested with other smells.

I've scouted a grand total of zero days this summer. :( Too busy. And gas is too expensive.

I'm surprised he got that close! She must have been harrassing him.

Since the only thing I got drawn for this year is deer in NM, I will have to go varmint hunting more and possibly shoot a pig. As "Stick" would say - "live vicariously through others' posts." :D I am heading to Arizona for prairie dogs again on the 22nd, I think. It'll be hot, so it will be a morning and evening activity.

I'm surprised he got that close! She must have been harrassing him.

Actually the pic doesn't give a very good representation of the distance. they were probably at least 30 yards apart.

Very curious doe...musta had a youngster around somewhere.

MtMiller... I of course was joking about Axl chasing the lope. That lope could leave any dog in the dust -even a Greyhound. I live in one of the few California deer zones that allow the use of dogs for hunting blacktails on the coast here. When I mention this, many of the unimformed want to string the dog AND me up -for laughs I guess. Looks like Axl needs the exercise anyway -he's a pretty big boy.

I haven't even been out to see if captain hook is still alive. I'm hoping to get out and put up a camera to see if he is visiting the local watering hole. Maybe Wednesday.

IdahoBugler.. I have a "captain hook" type buck that I'm hoping made it through the last season and winter too... may the force be with us.

Poor picture - Looks like a pissant, but he's actually a pretty good buck - over 16" long and over 80" in score. I was trying to shoot him last year - but there was a barrage of gunfire, he ran off, out of sight, more gunfire.. then the 2nd choice buck I had picked out gave me a shot.. wasn't sure if this guy was alive or dead at that time.. so i shot. It was on opening day.

claw2B.jpg

I was also joking about Axl chasing the pronghorn - obviously a retriever is not going to catch a healthy pronghorn and I was surprised to see a picture of him within 100 yards of one. ;) But...I don't know that I would post a picture of my dog chasing a big game animal or even appearing to chase one. There's some real anal people out there.

Locally, (as in Calif.) there are even restrictions on when you can have your dog out and off the leash in certain areas at certain times like birthing periods, hatches, big game seasons, etc. I used to breed and train GSPs, so had to be aware of all that.

Best of luck guys. Envious of those with the tags and opportunity...can't wait to see the stories and photos!:D

Here are some pics from my scouting thus far. I have found 2 bucks that will go 90". One of which I didnt get any pics of, but he may be over 90. He has unbelievable mass from base to tip. I wanted to get closer to him but he was surrounded by does and there was no chance whatsoever to get within a half mile of him. I'll save the stalk for when it matters. Hopefully I will show you a REAL close up soon.

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_7995.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back