You saw "Before," Here is "After"

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the taxi called today and said my NV pronghorn was finished. I had asked for a pedestal mount, but had no great expectations. Man, was I surprised.

He did some "horse trading" with a guy from IA to get some black walnut that the IA guy had cut down and had cut into rough lumber. A guy from MT planed it down and built the pedestal. I am not Catholic, but if I was, I would have to go to confession for stealing this pedestal, given the small fee he charged for it. I asked if he had forgotten a "0" on the invoice.

So, here he is.

View attachment 6439

View attachment 6440

Here is the pedestal. I have not seen walnut that clear on very many rifles.
View attachment 6441

View attachment 6442

View attachment 6443

If the buck was anything near the taxidermy quality, he would be close to a world's record. Cool.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_2580.JPG
    IMG_2580.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_2589.JPG
    IMG_2589.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 518
BF, that is one of the sweetest mounts I have ever seen. That Walnut is amazing.

Great looking mount, as good as I have seen
Congrats on a great goat and awesome display

Who did the Taxidermy?

Greenie:

It was our friend Jerry. He acted surprised that I was hopping around hootin' and yellin' when I saw it. In typical humble fashion, he just said, "Well, glad you like it."

If you are in the 'hood, feel free to drop by and see it in person. The pictures don't show it like the real thing.

ERSS:

The "Jerry" I am referring to is Jerry Andres in Belgrade, MT. He is the busiest taxi I have ever met, with good reason. He can do this kind of work and the cost is nothing close to the "famous" guys.

That is one of the best antelope mounts I have ever seen. Congrats again on a fine trophy. What are the scoring numbers of your goat?

Glad to hear that the guy I use is good. He is too busy though, no doubt. He's done every mount of mine since moving to bozeman in '86.

Great mount.I thought you needed a pedestal mount because your walls were already full but from the pictures it looks like you will have some room for a few of this years kills.Great goat and great mount.

Awesome piece of work you got there. Seems to me its closer to art than taxidermy.

Bugler:

Depends on who's score you go with. While caping him at the campground, the lowest guess any hunter gave me was 84. The highest being 86. In the field, I guessed 81 to 82. Was gonna shoot him no matter what, after climbing that mountain four straight mornings to check on him.

Had a Hunttalker score him when I got home, and he came up with 70+/- twelve inches.

A UT guy who submits pictures to the Eastman's Journal scored him and came up with 98+ change, as his minimum. He wanted field photos so he could photoshop it and put his gumbo mudder reunion pictures in the background, making it look like they were all huntin'.

Had an official B&C scorer go through the process, and he came to a net of 80 0/8, exactly, after the 60 day drying period. A few symmetry problems, slightly above average mass, and the fact that his prongs are so low on the horn reduces the circumeference measurements, and his net score.

On the character and coolness scale, he is definitely B&C.

Moral of the story.

1) If you aren't gonna have him officially measured, have an Eastman's subscriber from UT, give you his estimates, and don't look back. Take it as the gospel.

2) Hunttalk guys use long tapes, so don't have them give you a green score. You will get shortchanged. But with enough beer, he will give you a liberal +/- factor.

3) Shoot the one you like, and if he is a lunker, all the better.

4) Official scores help you realize just how big an 82+ antelope must be.

I have four pronghorn tags this year, and my son has one, so we now have something to shoot for (literally and figuratively).

I like it. Especially the eyes.

Randy, while on the Sheldon did you see any good mulies or Cal Bighorns?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back