Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Decent lope?

mtmiller

Lousy pics, but thought I would run this guy by the experts (Buzz, Oak, Greeny, or others).

What will this guy go. I don't know how to score on the hoof, but would guess this guy around 75". Am I close?

p1040719comp.jpg

p1040732comp.jpg

p1040739comp.jpg

Miller:

Why don't you shoot him on August 15th and then you can solve the mystery.

Looks like a shooter for our neck of the woods. Good mass and prongs. I think his length is deceiving, based on how much hook he has. I would give him between 77 and 78.

Length 14.75
Mass 1 - 6.0
Mass 2 - 6.5
Mass 3 - 3.5
Mass 4 - 2.5
Prong - 5.5

Total each side = 38.75 x 2 =77.5 Gross.

Just a guess, but WTF do I know? (Please don't answer that question.)

I would say at least 75 maybe more. It looks very similar to my buck that scored in the 75's. His measurements where:

Length 15
Mass 1 - 6
Mass 2 - 6
Mass 3 - 3 5/8
Mass 4 - 2 2/8
Prong - 5 2/8

P1020631.jpg

P1020623.jpg

since the experts are out and about tonight, couple of questions. 1 - is this a shooter? 2 - is it strange to see one with horns that go in different directions?

Attachments

• lope 1.jpg
    lope 1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 254
  • lope 2.jpg
    lope 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 254
Depending on what state/unit I was in, and how many days I had left to hunt, he may be a shooter.

Here is one I shot in WY that had some cross-threaded horns. I have seen a few that go different directions. Not common, but does happen.

View attachment 6333

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 252
Big Fin, that was either in NE wyoming, or SE montana on the way to or back from idaho. the wife had me stopping constantly for pictures. would shoot it if for no other reason than the horns. and to me, with no knowledge of lopes, it looks like a shooter. thanks for the info.

Big Fin, that was either in NE wyoming, or SE montana on the way to or back from idaho. the wife had me stopping constantly for pictures. would shoot it if for no other reason than the horns. and to me, with no knowledge of lopes, it looks like a shooter. thanks for the info.

TLC:

In those locations, with that good size and great character, he would be a shooter for me. Some may disagree about shooting him, but I have a soft spot for ugly/freaky antelope. He would be in danger.

I gave him the following:

Length 15
mass 6, 6 3/8, 3 6/8, 2 3/8
Prong: 5 6/8

Total gross score would be 77 6/8, thats my estimate. Nice looking pronghorn for sure.

TLC,

The pictures dont tell me much on your antelope pictures, but I'd say not much over 70. I would keep looking if I was in any kind of decent area.

Buzz, best 2 pictures she took of that one. not much over 70. OK, whats a decent antelope score at? and is there any tell tale signs to look for? know what to look for on a whitetail. but never looked at an antelope before last year. never really thought about hunting them til I came to this site.

and if I do a hunt this fall, will be in the middle of sept roughly, in NE wyoming, around the gillette area. not sure if thats a good area or not. and remember, personnally, I think any animal I get is a trophy since I hunt with a bow. might bring a gun for this though.;):D either 20 guage shotgun or a borrowed 30-06. wait, still have the .22 and the 22-250 laying around also.

TLC,

On antelope, its all about the mass and the prong. If you find an antelope around 15 inches with good mass and good prongs...time to think about getting serious. I wouldnt let score be the only thing to consider on an antelope hunt. Its a great time of year to be out and they're just flat fun to hunt. If you had the tag in your pocket and liked the looks of that antelope, I'd say shoot him.

Also, an FYI...you cant use a 22-250 or any other 22 centerfire to hunt big-game in Wyoming.

thanks Buzz. and was kidding about the 22's. the 22 is for tree rats and rabbits. the 22-250 is for coyote and fox at the farm.

I think Buzz's numbers are pretty good mtmiller, except I'd say the prongs are only around 5", putting him at 76+.

I also got 77" when adding it up. Pretty buck. 14.75, 6, 6.5, 3.75, 2.5, and 5 inch prong.

Miller:

Why don't you shoot him on August 15th and then you can solve the mystery.
I still have to see if I draw.:D I doubt I will chase this guy as he is about 80 miles from home and gas adds up in a hurry any more. I have another place closer to home with higher numbers. I have not yet been scouting it.

I would say at least 75 maybe more. It looks very similar to my buck that scored in the 75's.

P1020631.jpg

That is a great lope IB, thanks for the putting the pic up again. Tis the season to see more lope pics.

IIRC, this guy went 73" and change. Pretty simiar to the live one from yesterday.
P1050791Medium.JPG

P1050799Medium.JPG

76 or 77, he's a shooter for that area, right?

Tom, I would consider this a shooter where I hunt. Might still queeze a couple more inches in before season starts.

TLC, if you are planning on hunting speed goats around here, I believe you have to wait til October 1st. That is when 23 opens up unless you are planning on using a bow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back