Wyoming lope

TLC

any one have any informatin on area 23 in northeast wyoming? from what I hear it's south and west of gillette. supposedly a big area with access from landowners and public ground. and would an idiot like me be better off calling to put in the late lottery draw(after august 15th)rather than trying to figure out all your rules?|oo thanks for any info guys.

There is not much public. Hunted there. Call Game and Fish and they have a list of landowners who would help you out. You won't have any problem getting the tag, last year there were 600 left over, and thats because there isn't a lot of public access.

thanks sreekers. next question. what kind of money do the landowners want to let you hunt on their places? on average? think I have the prices of the tags figured out. 34 + 14 for the doe/fawn tags. and 280 something for the buck tags. or either sex tags. thanks.

Not sure to be truthful. Being a local guy I knock on doors a lot, and either get yelled at or they tell me shoot as many as I can to get rid of the competition with their cattle. Being from here helps though, if you aren't expect them to ask a lot. Getting the land owners numbers from Game and Fish would be your best call.

sreekers, again, thanks for the info and help. will get on the phone monday and see what I can come up with.

There is also some BLM land around that area believe it or not. Not a lot, but some....I would also look into that. I have hunted around that area a couple times and I've actually heard some landowners charging as little as $50 a day to hunt their property and heard as high as $250 for others.

I think you have the right idea calling the game dpt. and getting a list....if they can still give one. I would then get maps of the area(s) showing what's private or BLM. Those should be great starting points for ya.

thanks Muleyslyr. have also heard that I can call the Gillette chamber of commerce and get names and numbers of locals that allow hunting on their land. so, hopefully, between the two places, I can find something to try. going to try and pull this off on the way back from my sept bear hunt in idaho. hope the cash is there then for this.

The maps are quite deceiving. The problem with a lot of those public land tracts is that there aren't any public easements, and with the gas leases on a lot of them as well they don't permit any shooting. They don't mark them very well, by very well I mean at all. Be sure you know where you are before you start plinking!

I've hunted that general area many times for both deer and antelope.
Private ground is always the best deal, but if you are good at map reading and get current maps you can figure it out and probably get a goat.
Like sreekers said, a lot of that BLM stuff is land locked by private ground, you can't get into it without crossing private, but there are some places to hunt, just use your maps.
Lots of antelope around there.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back