Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Jerky

ELKCHSR

Any one have any good jerky recipes...

I'm making a pile of it to take on my venture across the mountains in a couple weeks...

I just use high mountain jerky cure and seasoning.Price is reasonable and I can get it at the local grocery store.I like the hickory or the cracked pepper seasonings.It takes a little time to make and if the kids don't find it right away I even get to have some.

Well...

I broke down and bought the mixes by Hi-Country at Wally World

Regular
Terriaki
BBQ

I also set up a dryer of sorts so that I could dry a lot more at a time

It also ends up not using much sparktricity as I set a small 12v fan to keep the air flow going

I also set it up almost over the top of the wood stove, so can get a complete dry in less time than using my regular dryer

jerky_dryer_002.jpg

jerky_dryer_001.jpg

I still set the meat on the same racks I use for my dryer and set them on this contraption, makes moving and flipping meat around much easier

I normally just start mixing things together until I have some thing that seems like it will work, only to find out that it makes the jerky hard to eat (I'll eat it as I'll eat most any thing)

This batch (about 15 lbs) turned out very well and I had it all dried in about 36-40 hours

Thanks for the input guys, it really helped :)

So elkcshr... I'll bet that's a real conversation piece... My wife would freak if I did that in the house! But then again it might be worth it if the jerky comes out good.

I have it set on hooks in the ceiling and can take it down as soon as I get all my dried stuff made for my walk in a couple weeks...

I still have some dried fruits and vegies to make...

The Regular turned out real well

The Teriyaki and BBQ are a little bland so will be adding extra to the mix next time

Will probably dump in a little teriyaki and BBQ sauce into the mix next time also...

P.S.

I can fix any little dings and dents I put in the house, plus it's over a hundred years old any way, so adds a little character... :D

looks like she's a startin to belly on ya....better trow a couple more chains in the middle.

HAHAHA!!!!

Saw that as soon as I hung it up...

Will probably take a small piece of PVC pipe, using the table saw, cut a slit down the length, and attach it to the sides of my drier unit...

Was just going to say... "and attach it to the sides of my unit..." but figured Craig would jump on that with some thing about hanging things from the side of his unit... :eek: :D

Here's a recipe I've used that keep my friends coming back for more.

Per 5 lbs. of jerky ( sliced 1/4 in.)
1 oz. liquid smoke
3/4 cup Worchester sauce
3/4 cup soy sauce
5 oz. Terriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon season salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 oz. Louizianna hot sauce

Marinade 24 hrs, lay on paper towels( each side) to get excess off, place in dehydrator @ 145 degrees for 4- 6 hrs. keep checking you don't want them dry and rock hard

Hi Mountain seasoning is a little high priced for what you get. Check out Bass Pro Shop online..they have alot of variety of seasonings and cures for a better price. I've used a couple of different brands they offered and I found the flavor to be a little better than Hi Mountain for a better price. I also found using ground meat and a "jerkey shooter" gives a more flavorful end product

Hopefully Foxworthy doesn't see that thing or your going to be the next "You might be a ......" joke.:D I'll bet you can process some material with that thing.

I was also going to note that you must not be married:D or is it like having a tree stand. The wife doesn't look up and just walks underneath all that drying flesh.

Let us know how the recipes turn out.

Another good jerky recipe for 3-5lbs of meat. I prefer to double this recipe for the same amount of meat, just my preference.

1T salt (I prefer Lowery seasoned salt)
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more)
1 cup warm water
2 T liquid smoke
I personally prefer to let it soak 24-48 hours before dehydrating it.
I also sprinkle the meat with fresh ground black pepper right before turning the unit on.
It can be cooked in the oven at 150-200 for 6-8 hours. Time is dependent on the thickness of the meat and how dry you like it.

I could probably agree with that. 'Course the advice to eat grass, drink pee, and the use of the Girl Scout manual was fun as well... :D

Believe me mud...you really dont want to know :hump:

....recapping the exploits of 'chsr is a thread all its own!

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back