Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Winterkill rams from So Dak

T Bone

Hey all,

My coworker was out mountain biking on Saturday and stumbled on a big old dead ram. In South Dakota you can't keep winterkill sheep so the F&G was notified and given the location. While looking they found another winter kill less than 300 yards away. I had to go take a look! While not the sheep country I'd consider as classic, you can't argue with these!

The full curl ram is a dandy. Tight curl, but excellent mass. I didn't have a tape to put on them but I'd guess horn length to be 36"-ish and to be pushing hi 170's.

The 7/8 curl ram is also real good. Real wide flare that the photos don't show. He's got a longer horn I believe and would guess him to be right around 170 due the mass tapering off quickly.

I call dibs one of the few tags the state gives out.

IMG_0534-1.jpg

IMG_0536-1.jpg

IMG_0537-1_edited.jpg

IMG_0535-1.jpg

Real nice rams, shame they died. Hopefully it was winter kill and not disease like pneumonia, etc.

Hard to say what killed them. But being that they are both 10 years plus, I'd gues it to be old age and everything that comes with it.

After looking closer on the smaller ram. I revise my guess on total score and put him sub-170.

Custer State Park had a die-off in 2006. No permits there at the time being.

Hey, the pics aren't coming up on my machines (3) are they still up on the site? If not, shoot me an e-mail. I'd like to see them.

thanks

That heavy ram is impressive! Didn't know they had anything like that in SD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back